Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System Questions

I am gonna do LTs, ORY, Electric Cutout, and a Flowmaster catback. I might just get the catback now and have it put in just to have a little rumble till i save up some extra cash for the rest prob in the next 3-4 weeks. What size is the stock I pipe on a 99 TA? Also if its the same size as the catback is would i be better off just buying the muffler and sticking in because ill prob stick some different tips on eventually. Also whats necessary to do to your air/o2 systems when putting in LTs/ory. I would want to ditch the air but dont know anything about it. And i guess you would still have to keep your o2s but do most aftermarket exhaust setups have o2 sensor mounting holes or u gotta get em welded in? Thanks, just trying to plot this stuff out before i start buying and having stuff installed.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as the ORY and LTs go, I just deleted the rear O2s to avoid throwing codes and kept the front 2.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, well as far as the headers i would say good call on going with the Lt's i would suggest a coated header..not to be confused with painted. get a ceramic or if you can afford it a "jet hot" coated header...the best bang for your buck as far as im concerned is pacesetter ceramic coated lt's, followed by either a pacesetter ory or one of a diff brand. furthermore the cutouts the qtp makes are some of the best around if not the top so def go with them and there electric setup there. now i noticed you have a picture of a 5.0 on your avator, and your choice of cat back/ muffler was a flowmaster setup. I'm not gonna lie flowmasters are great on mustangs but sound like **** on t/a's and camaro's check out ls1sounds.com to find what you like as far as setups go but trust me there are tons better setups out there then a flowmaster for your f body. now on the f body you have 4 o2's. 1 on each manifold and then 1 on each lower part of the stock y pipe. if you go with an ory and off road headers then what happens is the computer will be deleted of the rear o2 sensors found in the stock y pipe and the front o2's will be placed in the bungs provided by the headers usually around the area of the collector. as far as the air system if you get the headers without the air/egr option you will simply be able to delete the system from the car which not only cleans up your engine bay but also shaves weight
Old 07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have to have the back two deleted in the pcm somehow, like tuned out? I already show a code bc i 86ed my egr with my ls6 intake install, i was gonna wait and have that fixed when i do a cam this fall. I dont have flows on the mustang, its LTs, ORH, dynomax single chamber race bullets, 22x3.5 stainless 45* tips
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

ahhh i gotcha.....well you will need to have the o2's deleted b/c when you remove them from the pipes your computer will still be searching for readings from them and then run like total ***...so go to a speed shop and have them delete the codes for you jus like i did it works fine and no annoying ses light
Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Areound how much just to have a couple codes pulled? I know a "tune" is several hundred but just knocking out the codes would be easy im sure.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

well i had straightline perfomance do all my work....sponsor....i had them install and purchase pacesetter coated lt's *non emmission* and then custom mandrell bend a x pipe for my car and carry it out the back under the axle with some nice 4" stainless tips as well as remove the air system and delete the codes .....i was out the door at 1300 flat...so if you subtract out 375 for headers and then like the x pipe and tips i think it was like 45 dollars to have the codes deleted