Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell happened on the way home?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question What the hell happened on the way home?

I went up to pick my car up from being tuned. I took it for a ride around before I left the shop to make sure it was doing well. It ran great, idled great at about 850-900 and the throttle response was awesome. My tuner had a little race gas left in it to determine if I had false knock so I took it up to the Crown station and put about 8 gallons of 93 in it to get home. So I'm driving on teh way home and of course it's stop and go traffic. The car seems to be running fine and cool at 175*. All of a sudden, it's idleing in traffic and it just bogs and dies. I try to start it up a couple times but it won't do it. I finally get it started about 2 minutes later and it runs fine. I'm driving through traffic again, get to a stop and it bogs and dies. This time it's not as easy to start. It takes a little longer to get started and now the throttle is mostly unresponsive. I'll press it down and a second later it may realize I gave it gas and rev up, so I'm nursing it a bit and it won't even idle. It finally gets its act together and realizes I'm giving it gas and I start driving again. This continues all the way home and it's to the point now where it won't even sit at a stop without dying and it takes even longer to start up again. Now when I get it started up again the throttle is almost useless unless I gun it and keep it at like 3k rpms to start going and never get under 1.5k. I finally got home and it stopped as I coasted into my space. WTF is going on? It was running fine when I left the shop. What could have happened? It feels as if an 02 is dumping crazy fuel (and the gas gauge certainly started to decline quite rapidly toward the end). I'm just lost on what's going on. Any input would be much appreciate.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say there is a tuning problem. I don't know what exactly, but something is off. Take it back to the guy who tuned it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this sounds like somthing I had. Drive and next thing it bogs bad and stops so I thought fuel pressure nope that wasnt it then my maf was a little dirty cleand it and nope same result. So I logged some drive time on the predator and what would you know my water temp gauge was at - 60 so it was dumping fuel then it killed my 02s then from some odd reason when I step on the gas wit the keyfoward my tps read 1% with it to the floor and blade wide open. To top it off my IAC was clogged was very hard to turn. I thought it was just the stiffer spring I had for my Tbody just me experiance good luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Oh and as far as the water temp sensor it set no ses code and the gauge read 180-210 go figure and I have an 02. But when I logged it when it hit -60 the car would bogg and then it will shoot to 210 and she would pull. Huh go figure
Old 07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lame man, definitely a tuning issue. Should not act like an extremely rich condition, I wouldn't drive it around much like that (not saying you will) but take it back and have it checked out.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't see why it would wait to do it until after I was driving 30 minutes. I took it for a test drive for about 20 minutes when I was at the shop, it ran great. It obviously had enough time to get into closed loop and nothing even close to this happened. I can't drive it back there because the damn thing won't stay running when I stop.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Check fuel pressure
check for vacume leaks
check the water temp guage it will do what your describing
check the maf and make sure its clean
Scan it and see if you have an ses code
plus I think you have a 408? My 422 gave me a code about the crank position sensor and the rpms would go erattick and bog and shut off.
Man I bet is somthing simple some times it right in front of your face
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Check fuel pressure
check for vacume leaks
check the water temp guage it will do what your describing
check the maf and make sure its clean
Scan it and see if you have an ses code
plus I think you have a 408? My 422 gave me a code about the crank position sensor and the rpms would go erattick and bog and shut off.
Man I bet is somthing simple some times it right in front of your face
Oh I'm sure it's simple, it's just that I don't know what could have gone wrong on just the ride home. I did have a new sender put in for my water temp gauge as well as oil pressure, but I don't see how that would affect the tune. The temp sensor is wired straight to the gauge, not to the pcm. The pcm reads from the stock water temp sensor. I can check the MAF but don't have something to test fuel pressure.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Im not sure about the temp wiring but I could have sworn on the side of the head is where it got a reading from. I dont understand how things go bad but my car at that time had 20k on it and I bought it brand new. Man this is a brainer LOL! The temp sensor will tell the car some how the water is -60 and for some reason it will dump fuel this same excat thing happen to me I got tuned for a cam and header swap and boom on the way home she went to ****. and now with the stroker the carnk position is messed up but i have read about the crank relearn deal maby I can find it. If all else fails do a ses reset pull the pcm batt and pcm ign with the key foward wait 4 mins and turn the key off and replace fuses start car Idel should search for a sec and see if it still does waht your saying it does. If it stops then it may be your tune. Any ses codes?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

No ses codes. I'm gonna pull the pcm fuses and see what happens though.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Keep me posted
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just did the pcm clear but don't want to start it up cuz it's late and don't want to give the neighbors a reason to be mad at me the first night I have the car home. I'll start it up tomorrow and take it for a ride. Or, maybe I'll do it later tonight since there's less people on the road. I'll post up what I find.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Cool good luck")
Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did the PCM clear last night and let it sit overnight. I started it up this morning and have been driving it around and it doesn't die anymore. It found it's native idle and everything. It doesn't seem to be running 100% but I'd say 90%. I drove it around for about half an hour to a couple places so it had time to give me plenty of trouble. Everything seemed to be fine (other than needing to be fine tuned again) until I got home and it's throwing a P0300 misfire code now. I just cleared it and will try driving it around some more, but hopefully it's just a tune issue rather than something being wrong.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

UPDATE: Spent all day at the shop trying to figure out wtf was wrong and it looks like the Walbro took a **** on me (even though it only had about 1500 miles on it ). The pressure would slowly drop down and got down to 20 psi when it was idling rough and wanting to die. It idled great after replacing it and pressure was up to 70 psi at idle. We retuned and it's running great now but it just threw the misfire code again when I got home. I dunno what's up with that one.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Is it P0300? Does it have a number at the end, because that will tell you which cylinder the ECM is detecting a misfire from.

But it could be:
Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s) (if you still have any, I don't recall)
Faulty camshaft position sensor (as others have mentioned)

The misfire code wasn't thrown on the dyno? Perhaps whatever is causing that is also causing the KR. Check the plugs/wires and the fuel injectors (especially if the Walbro took a **** on you, no telling what happened to the injectors).
Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Walbro could have puked some stuff down the line into the injectors or clogged the filter as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know which cylinders I'm getting the code for as it's just a cheap code reader that isn't exactly so informative about that. As for the filter/injectors, I got some injector cleaner I planned on putting in tomorrow. How hard is it to replace the fuel filter? That's one thing I actually haven't done on the car.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's very simple. It will take you less than five minutes.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Don't forget to take the pressure out of the line or you will be covered in fuel. Just pull back and unscrew. It really, literally, is so simple.