Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

puttin in converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default puttin in converter

ordered a converter today. my car has 100k on it, tranny as well. Now when i put it in ill loose / need to add fluid. Now iv heard horror stories bout changing fluid and filter then the trans goes out. Somethin bout the old fluid has friction stuff in it making a old trans hold up, then when u put in new fluid its goes to all hell then. Now people put in converters everyday. Are you changing all the fluid or just adding to existing? It sucks, i buy a new converter and i dont wanna put it in cause i dont wanna rebuild my tranny yet.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you owned the car? Have you ever changed the tranny fluid? Do you know how many miles since the last fluid change?
If the change interval is kept up (I change it every 15 to 20k) you should have no issues.
Its only high mileage trannys that don't have the fluid changed that it could be an issue.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

not sure
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Whenever I swap torque converters I do a fluid & filter change.

You are oging to have to drop the transmission so you'll have fluid leaking out at least the tailhousing, and you have to pour some in the tc so you don't fry it at the first start up.

I don't see any reason to not drop the pan and do a fluid change at the same time.

If your transmission is so bad that a fluid change toasts it you should probably have the transmission rebuilt anyway.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

well right now the trans is awsome. feels 100%. and if i go that far i might as well put a shift kit in too. holy hell, this converter is gettin to be a job and a half, lol.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I did mine on a lift with a tranny jack. I didn't even have to disconnect the lines. Pan stayed on because I knew a shift kit was going in. Changed it with my shift kit. As far as loosing any fluid, I didn't lose that much. I filled the TC up with fluid, slipped it on, put everything back together and poured about a quart and a half in. Checked the level and it was good so I started the car, checked the fluid while running, cut it off and checked again. It was good with just that. Pretty good write up on here that you should look at and print off. Somewhere.........dot....dot
Old 07-28-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Somewhere..........dot......dot????????
Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Kinda funny.

Since I posted in here, I magically ended up with a Fuddle 3600 in my hands.

My transmission is currently under the car, without any fluid, and waiting on me to throw the verter and filter in and fill her up.

Should be back on the street this evening.

Still a fan of doing a fluid change with the converter swap, and I plan my upgrades to coincide with fluid changes.

First converter went in at the 30k fluid change, did a shift kid, rebuild and vacuume mod, second TC is going in at the 60k change.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

well i found out through records then i dont think it was ever changed. So i dunno what im gonna do now. Put in just the converter with no shift kit and play it safe. OR do converter, shift kit, oil and filter change and roll the dice and see if the new fluid burns out my clutches.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

absolutely without a doubt change the fluid.if the trans slips its on its way out anyways.definatley change the fluid though.your trans will thank you.