Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1st track outing for the turbo vette.. humorous times.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st track outing for the turbo vette.. humorous times.. :)

well guys.. muggy as ****, rain threatening the entire time and 89* temps.. numerous little pain in the *** issues with intercooler plumbing not wanting to stay together and only able to muster up 15 pounds of boost from leaking and now severely dented and mangled intercooler pipes... no launches at all.. just pansy *** roll out launches.. which would make granny look like john force...lol

runs were made in M6 C4 vette, bald 315 nitto 17" drag radial.. no burn out (wheel hop issues) no runs made on anything over 15 pounds. stock 3.45 gears out back. full weight.. never weighed for exact figures???? so not sure.

specs.. T74gts turbo on a forged 355 low CR shortblock, unported trickflow heads, unported LT1 intake manifold, stock LT4 camshaft (not hot cam) the 203/210 .476"/.479" 115 lsa stock bump stick. and a big fuel system and dfi gen 7 tuned by yours truly (still figuring it all out) conservative timing still need to get back to the dyno to get a little more aggressive with the timing tune. 58mm TB, 1.6 rockers, and thats about it...3" downpipe to SLP dual 3" exhaust 40mm true HKS gate, tial 50mm BOV and 4" OBX intercooler. gate spring is set at 18psi right now but she creeps to 20 in 4th except at the track tonight where only 15psi was achieved from said issues.

I got these times and mph in this order

12.74@103.29 60' 2.34 (IC pipes came completely apart at 1/8 mile mark, this would have been the best run of the night)

12.77@119.74 60' 2.39
12.34@125.69 60' 2.22
12.47@128.92 60' 2.33

now before anyone flames the supraish high et's big mph. I am not embelishing that I really just rolled it out like normal everyday driving then rolled into the gas once the clutch was all the way out... I need some new shocks REALLY bad, I had nasty wheel hop when the tires let go which was all of 1st once I mashed it and pretty much most of second and then into third she would get squirmy but was grabbing slipping grabbing slipping. no power shifting, just lift shifting and respool the turbo in each gear.

the first run started off all wrong when one of the pipes blew completely apart, bent the lips and the pipe at the turn, then missed a leak while fixing that pipe on the 119mph run right at the compressor outlet.. it had slipped a lip of the coupler out from under the t-bolt edge and was leaking boost pretty bad.. only got around ~10 pounds that run.

now.. the car has been tuned on 110 leaded race gas and running like an absolute raped ape at 20psi... I was not near that at all tonight.. so.. going to be installing and welding tabs and bars to hold the pipes together to prevent this from now on.. going back next thursday.. for now I do not care about my et's at all... I want my mph to show what the car is doing once I can make a solid pass on my 23 psi tune without having any incidents like blowing piping apart.. I think once thats resolved I would like to see some low 11 second passes in the mid 135ish range. then I will decide if I really wanna start getting the tires and suspension dialed in for drag racing.. its hard too take that plunge as the car is just an absolute ball to drive.. rarely do I ever find myself next to anyone where you can go from a dig (besides the track), mainly on the highway where you just do a 3rd to 4th roll on and the car is lethal at these highway rollon speeds. the 1/4 mph's above is no where near a direct reflection of what it will do making a full 20psi pass.. it is night and day how she pulls up top when pipes stay together.. hmmm.. sorry for the book, but i think it was a very succesful first night out at the track.. I can't wait till next week to turn up the wick, slap some new tires and shocks on her to keep the wheel hop out of the picture, and actually use the boost controller.. and VERY much looking forward to some cooler weather.. I will keep ya posted. as for now.. my bone stock driveability is flawless, it is a dream to drive anywhere and is a monster when you tap the pedal.. pretty much nailed what I wanted to build.

thanks for reading guys!

Chris
Old 07-28-2006, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck man
let us know how everything turns out
sucks that your IC piping blew to ****
me and my friend had that on his drag prepped STI that ran about 25 pounds... piping coming apart is not fun or pretty
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry I couldnt make it, it was bowling night for me (shot 279 the last game though)

Just a couple of weeks ago I ran at the same track and went 12.0 @ 119 - 2.0 60'' (A4)

Great trap speeds man, I hope you get the little things iron out soon
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

Nice MPH !
Old 07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

You forgot to mention how the dog ate your homework too.

For a car that probably trapped 103-104 mph stoc, you are off to a nice start. When I had my blower setup still on the car, I went 10.3@136 on my first real pass, but the prior ones were like 10.9 and the other two were in the 12's.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

yes the dog ate my homework... and shredded my back back to boot..lol

yeah I am looking forward to getting her dialed in I still have once she is right and nothing comes apart I will try a more aggressive launch.. and I still have the two step function in the DFI gen 7 I need to wire in and put a switch for... but it makes me nervous.. I really would rather have **** times and a rear end that lives.. us IRS guys can't simply swap in a better rear.. once you are at the dana 44 thats about as big as it gets unless you go solid axle.. and not on this car ever will that happen.. maybe our 85 which we are building for drag use only, but that will be once we determine the extreme limits of the D44.

your times give hope to me.. if I can clock off a nice 11.0 @135 I will be tickled pink and call it a day with this one.. thats plenty of work out of the little cam in the motor and maintaining 100% stock driveability.

Chris
Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

If a schmoe like me can drive a car that other folks largely built to a 9.4@143 after about 16 passes then you all have hope.

Vette wheelhop is no joke. I'd stiffen up that rear suspension so you don't frag the whole rear end. Judging by the mph, you are making about 500-525rwhp? I made 680rwhp with a loose converter when I went 144mph.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
well guys.. muggy as ****, rain threatening the entire time and 89* temps..
Don't complain about the weather, it's awesome compared to what I run in. Last time at the track for me on 13psi with a t76 was a 121 trap LOL DA was about 7000' 89 degrees LOL, I don't think it gets that cold at night in the summer.

I'm so jealous of you guys who get to run in sub 3000 DA, free HP.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice mph man, glad you got the leak fixed! Hope you get those et's and mph you were wanting. Look at John, perfect example, 680rwhp and 144mph, wow.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome numbers!

129mph @ 15psi with the 203/210 .476"/.479" 115 cam and unported trickflow heads (250cfm max) is awesome!

Jon
Old 07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'd get the car to run the mph and also change the shocks since they sound like they are worn out.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Real Quick,

thanks man.. yeah I was very hesitant when I had the motor on the stand on what to do about cams... so I figured since I decided to wait on porting the heads, I would wait and slip the new bump stick in when I did that. figured it would make shaking down the car alot easier for such an extensive amount of work that went into it.. less issues to srt out then if I went super radical.. since then I have come to truly love how nice the car drives on the stock ccam and how much power is still on tap when boost comes in.. like having the best of both worlds.. 20" hg at idle, silky smooth idle and cruise, no lope.. car is a 100% sleeper as you can't see the front mount.. it has done its share of suprising people.. when I take soemone for a ridethey are caught off gaurd because of how quiet and smooth the car is.. they don't suspect what 20 pounds of boost is going to feel like on such a docile car.. but when the pedal hits the floor and the turbo spool.. the sheer panic in their darty eyes and the reaction of reaching for something to grab and the ghostly pale complexion as the blood has instantly drained fromt heir face from fright... kinda fun seeing it happen.. then the shaken speech as they try explaining they had no idea while I just sit and say.."I know" I felt the same way the first time I rode in a FAST car too..lol I plan on maxxing this setup out before changing anything.. then I guess all the little things will have been sorted and modding from their should go rather basically such as on a stocker that you start modding.. good solid platform to work with.

PSJ,

I actually have a post on corvette forum trying to find some good handling upgrades.. spent so much time trying to get her to go fast I completely lost track of what would be needed to help the car handle the new found power.. so I am thinking the KYB shocks as alot of people feel they ride 100% better then the stock (base) bilsteins (not the upgraded HD), and mine are not only the base shocks but they are shot.. no dampening at all.. I can bounce the rear of the car by hand a few times and it keeps bouncing when I stop pushing on it.. they are GONE! front is the same way. it feels like a 75 chrysler new yorker floating downt he highway..lol not the safest of things!

also looking at some new rotors and trying to do some research here as stopping this thing from 132-133mph after letting off after the traps is a bit of a chore with the worn stock pads and the rotors have a nice healthy lip at the edge and some shudder has become apparent from high speed (120+mph) braking.. I'm sure they have some warping to them. I have a new set of EBC green stuff pads for the fronts and backs, but am completely fresh to learning about rotors and its tough to decide with all the pros and cons of each.. I by no means want to skimp, but I am tight on funds after the initial build and need to buy wisely.. if anyone here has some good ideas on an affordable rotor that will hold up I am all ears! thanks again guys.. it seems never ending but thats what ya do.. swat down the little issues that ebcome present until they are sorted and the car performs as you need it to!

Chris