Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad luck or no luck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad luck or no luck!!!

If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all!!! I have been fighting this idol problem since I pp my TB. I changed the IAC "O" ring, changed the IAC (had an extra from back in the day), put MAF back in stock frame with screen, reset my computer many times, drilled out filled in area inside of tubing I used to route IAC air & Valve cover exhaust, double checked I didn't bore out the blade seat area, and still the idol stayed at 1200rpms or pulsed from 1200 to 1800rpms at the light. Also, while driving when the clutch was pushed in the car rpms would jump to 2000. Every time I reset the computer it would improve, then get worse.
Last night cut the tubing out of TB and made it look similar to the Vette TB. "U" shape with smooth taper. I actually like it better this way. I installed TB and went for a ride. Finally the idol came down to 900rpm's. But it still bumps like it has a cam (no cam just stock). I feel around and notice air flowing around the EGR tub to the intake manifold. A friend blew some cigarette smoke over the EGR area and down the smoke went! I removed the screw and wiggled the EGR around a little just to see if I could get it to seat better without pulling it out. (over the years I have pulled this thing out many times and I don't want the metal tube to get a crack or kink.)
CLATTER BANG!! Engine stops!!! The "O" ring for the EGR housing sucked into the intake and went bye bye!! I jumped in the car and tried to start it so rubber "O" ring would not burn a bad spot on any valve seat. Third attempt and the car started. Running like total crap I installed EGR manifold screw and drummed the throttle a few times to get the "O" ring from the rooter to the tooter. I drove the hell out of the car down the street and it bobbled once at WOT. I figure anther piece of the "O" ring got sucked down into the cylinder. Parked the car and I can smell burnt rubber from the exhaust. My CAT must have a nice burnt black loogy stuck on it screen! But better there than in the cylinder.
Anyway, DON'T REMOVE THE SCREW AND WIGGLE THE EGR TUB ON TOP OF MANIFOLD!! It sucks, literally! The car is running ok, and I am picking up a new "O" ring gasket from the dealer @ 4:00pm ($13). It really makes you think about what that "O" ring went through. This suck, you don't even want dust in your motor and I put a 1.5" rubber "O"ring through it! I figure the "O" ring was broken down being my car is a 98. Man I only have 48K on this car and I have always tried to treat it good. Hell, I drove around a month with oil catch can and didn't even get a drop! What do you think the changes are that I will get away from without any problems?