Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Opinions on tire sizes for 17's on daily driver....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on tire sizes for 17's on daily driver....

I was shopping around for rims/tires today online and few local stores. I want to go with a pretty standard rim size like a 17X9.5 and figured on 275/40/17's at all corners like a lot of you guys run. The most reputable guy I dealt with today was at this place Town Faire Tire, which those in New England know have great prices, and this guy also had an LS1 Camaro so it was great to deal with someone familar with the car. Overall he was very helpful, but one of his recommendations was to consider a narrower tire and even a 17X7 or 8 rim in the front for better road stability and cornering. He mentioned the possibility of rubbing in the rear with anything wider than a 17x9-9.5. I know the issue with the rear varies with the rim model, but is there any logic with going narrower in the front like that? One of my concerns was that with directional tires it would eliminate the possibilty of basically any rotation down the line. I'd like to keep all four corners the same, but I dunno. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

do a 17x9.5 if rotating tires is something you wanna do, ive run 11's on the back and 9.5's on the front for a while now with no problems and the look good too, do not go to a 7 or 8inch wheel. if you stay with a 275 your get a wider footprint which will give you better handling and traction
Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Since when does a narrower tire make it handle better? It won't track on bad roads as bad with a narrower tire but that's it. If it didnt' handle well why would Camaro SS and WS6 TA's and Firehawks have that size?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Exactly...narrower????nuts...Same on both or better is Wider in rear for sure, then you WILL be narrower in front...275 is great in front. ...and please..shop online then deal local. Get educated or get TAKEN!!! Read at least 50 threads on here before doing anything...
Old 07-30-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TightSS
Exactly...narrower????nuts...Same on both or better is Wider in rear for sure, then you WILL be narrower in front...275 is great in front. ...and please..shop online then deal local. Get educated or get TAKEN!!! Read at least 50 threads on here before doing anything...
Yeah, I've neen looking at DTD, TomZWheels, Custom Wheels Market, and just this one place locally that generally has great prices and includes all those "hidden costs" in the wheel/tire prices like lugs, valves, disposal, mountin, a fresh alignment, etc.

A little unsure what to do...TomZ has GREAT rim prices, but not much in the way of tires. I think Sumitomos are all you can get as a package. I would love to find a place to get Bullits, C5 Z06's, or C6's shipped to my door with decent rubber mounted and ready to bolt on. DTD seems to only have the wheels I'm considering "on order".
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

The advantages I know of for narrower:
1. lighter
2. less likely to hydroplane in heavy rain
3. quieter
4. less prone to follow road grooves
5. easier on your steering gear/Ps pump at slower speeds
6. less wind resistance/frontal area (gotta be HAULIN for this to matter)

Otherwise, wider:
sticks better in all dry situations
looks awesome!
handles better