Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Subaru WRX

Old 07-30-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru WRX

Damn black Subaru WRX with a five gallon bucket exhaust was PULLING on me last night! I was in second gear at about 5K i saw him pulling so in an attempt to keep some horsepower I hung in there till about 6k and he was still starting to pull on me.........luckily for me he bounced off of his rev limiter a little black smoke came out of his tail pipe and that was it! Not really a street racer or anything but he started it. Now can someone tell me why that little car was pulling on me, I know he had a turbo but geez I didn't know that those were 13 second cars.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

what kind of car do you have, and what have you done with it?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

^ That kind of info alway's helps...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:51 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming original poster has a stock LS1, it takes a Stage II WRX setup (downpipe, exhaust, ECU map) to be able to run with a stock LS1 in 1/4 mile elapsed time, but it will do so at a lower mph trap speed. This means that the Stage II WRX would have come out fierce from the hole and consumed its powerband before reaching the latter part of the 1/4 mile (where the LS1, in turn, is in its meat of its powerband).

2nd gear run meant you were still in the bugger's power band, If he had an upgraded turbo, he would have held on much longer than a simple Stage II setup.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I have a vf39 (stock STi turbo), 565cc injectors on my WRX and I hang dead even with an i/e WS6 Vert from a roll. I'm untuned, stock FP and without an intercooler upgrade. My guess is a vf3x or vf22 upgraded WRX with all the support mods if you are stock or close to it.

Alot os guys I race get mad when I tell them it's just a WRX and not an STi. Just cause the WRX isn't as quick as the STi don't count it out.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i raced a new sti the other night, deff. suprised me.. i knew they were fast but didnt know how fast, i asked what he ran and what he had done, he said "exaust and a few other things" and he ran in the 13.20's last time he was at the track but has done stuff since then...... then the other night i came across an srt-4 in the mall parkinglot and B.S.ed w/ him for a bit, he said i should race his buddies sti and that he just took it to the track and it was running in the low 13.00s just shy of the 12's... i asked him if it were silver, and sure enough it was.. and in this town there are very few sti's so im guessing its the same person i raced

so those cars deff have potential, and i wouldnt mind owning one..... there are very few imports i would want to drive, and thats one that i would take in a second

Search this Thread