Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default coolant leak....

if its not one thing its another...... i have a very small coolant leak, that i cant figure out where its coming from. i assume its been going on for a while now from the looks it. never had any low coolant or overheating problems. any ideas???? and it only seems to leak when the car is on and in operating temp.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen that a bunch. Usually just the waterpump gasket. You can install a new pump if you want, but just replacing the gaskets usually fixes that particular leak. There are two types of gasket, an aluminum carrier gasket and an old school paper gasket, I've had the best luck with the paper gasket.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Do you have your TB coolant lines bypassed? That could be a source of leakage. That's probably not it but I'm just throwing another idea out there.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im betting that the water pump gaskets. Had the same problem on my new motor except the leak was on the pass side not the drivers side. BTW nice car minus the taillights... Kinda bias though lol.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM
That's what she said...

Might also be coming out of the power steering cooler ( inline with the radiator hose, made of aluminum ).

I like the o-ring water pump gaskets myself, the paper ones are a BITCH to get on and off sometimes.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

i took it to a lube ceter where a friend works and it seems to be the water pump gasket. so here's the Q, should i just replace the gasket or go a head and replace the pump as well?? I was thinking the pump aswell, called the dealer they sell the stock one for $300. Found one at napa for $160 new and w/lifetime warranty.

how hard is it to replace?? im just thinking of having it done somewhere.

Z'mnypin...took the tail lights off a good while back... like your hood and headlights though....
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles are on your factory waterpump? I just replaced my factory waterpump with 72K miles on it because it started leaking out of the "weep hole". Bought a new GM waterpump that came with the AC Delco metal gaskets for $160 shipped from a GM parts dealer on EBay. If your factory waterpump has some miles on it then I'd go ahead and put a new waterpump on there since you're going to have to take the waterpump off anyway to replace the gaskets. I have a friend that had his factory waterpump in his 2001 SS go out at 50K, so you never know how long it'll last. It's not hard to replace at all, just may be a little time consuming. This was my first time to replace the waterpump on my car, and it took about 3 hours to do the job working really slow and double checking myself.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
How many miles are on your factory waterpump? I just replaced my factory waterpump with 72K miles on it because it started leaking out of the "weep hole". Bought a new GM waterpump that came with the AC Delco metal gaskets for $160 shipped from a GM parts dealer on EBay. If your factory waterpump has some miles on it then I'd go ahead and put a new waterpump on there since you're going to have to take the waterpump off anyway to replace the gaskets. I have a friend that had his factory waterpump in his 2001 SS go out at 50K, so you never know how long it'll last. It's not hard to replace at all, just may be a little time consuming. This was my first time to replace the waterpump on my car, and it took about 3 hours to do the job working really slow and double checking myself.

54k, better off doing it all at once. $160 for a gm water pump is not bad. i kinda wanted to get it done asap....dont know if i caould wait for it to ship. will the aftermarket pump be as good??

is this the one your talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04...spagenameZWD1V

Last edited by z28_n_tx; 07-31-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM
That's what she said...

Remove the lid/MAF/Bellows/belt and the pump comes off with 6 10mm bolts in about 10 minutes. I would just replace the gaskets and worry about the pump when the weep hole starts leaking. My stocker has 122k miles on it.

Some people like to replace stuff that isn't brokededed, but I never think that far ahead.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

should i get the aftermarket or stock water pump??? and is the one on the link the right stock replacement??

any one??
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
should i get the aftermarket or stock water pump??? and is the one on the link the right stock replacement??

any one??
I'd go with the GM replacement waterpump. That link that you posted on EBay is the right one, and is the same person that I bought my waterpump from. I did the "Buy It Now" option, and it was on my doorstep 2 days later.

Edit: Looking back at that person's new EBay auction that you listed, it doesn't mention "Includes Gaskets" like it did on my auction, so you'll probably have to buy those seperately.

Last edited by CRL 01 SS; 08-01-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:19 PM
That's what she said...

That looks like a winner in the eBay ad, I'd go with that one if you're itching to replace it. Like mentioned earlier, you may need new gaskets. I'd go to the stealership get some of the new o-ring style's myself.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That looks like a winner in the eBay ad, I'd go with that one if you're itching to replace it. Like mentioned earlier, you may need new gaskets. I'd go to the stealership get some of the new o-ring style's myself.

would you happen to know the part #?? how much do they run??

if its just the gasket like im thinking it is,i probably wont replace the pump...need to save as much $$ as i can so i can get it tunned