Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

starting to hate NBM

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting to hate NBM

anyone else with a NBM car hate trying to keep it clean? i know black cars are a pita to keep clean, but my NBM car is a pain to keep it looking right. i clay bar the car(about once a month) and i've been using that ICE car polish stuff (yeah, i know, i should probably find something better), but it seems impossible to really keep the paint looking like it should. unless i JUST got done cleaning the stupid thing, it sometimes looks like an almost purplish/brownish color sometimes in the light. from a distance its all navy blue, but, up close it really doesnt look right half the time. anyone else know what im talking about? any real solutions? or maybe im just being to **** about the car, lol. idk.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car is dark purple and seems to resemble blue alot of the time.
depending on the light.
there's alot of better polishes and waxes out there.
If you are looking for something that you can find at your local autoparts store, i would look into Meguiars # 26 liquid. It is in their professional line and it is a very nice carnauba !!

Everyone expects different things out of their cars, you expect the paint to look its best, nothing wrong with that

if interested in something different, i can give you a few suggestions, even pictures of cars i have detailed with certain products
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stokedporcupine
anyone else with a NBM car hate trying to keep it clean? i know black cars are a pita to keep clean, but my NBM car is a pain to keep it looking right. i clay bar the car(about once a month) and i've been using that ICE car polish stuff (yeah, i know, i should probably find something better), but it seems impossible to really keep the paint looking like it should. unless i JUST got done cleaning the stupid thing, it sometimes looks like an almost purplish/brownish color sometimes in the light. from a distance its all navy blue, but, up close it really doesnt look right half the time. anyone else know what im talking about? any real solutions? or maybe im just being to **** about the car, lol. idk.
i feel your pain.... i am a perfectionist so i get so frustrated trying to keep the damn thing clean.

the second i clean it, there is a thick layer of dust on it right after
Old 07-31-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first step is using quality products that do one job an do it well - not something that's just going to mask the imperfections for the time being (read: ICE).
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats how NBM is. It changes color depending on light, time of day, the way you hold your mouth and so on. Yeah its a pain to keep clean and shows everything. I think if you get a good sealent on it you will be happy with the color.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

I have a black w68, the day or 2 after i wash it, it just so happens to have a sudden shower poured on it and its dirty as fu(k the next day.

I hate how black cars are uber high maint. but when they are clean, its friggin badass.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have nbm and I feel your pain as well. Clay bar and Ice is what I use but you need to seal the ice with a nice wax on top it will help with beading and water spots. I use Meguiars gold class and it is easy to use. Then in between details keep a microfiber and quick detailer spray to alleviate trouble spots.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Unless your car spends all of it's time in a highly industrial area, claying monthly may be overkill.

Try a different wax/sealant to see if it can provide an appearance you like better. Might try Mother's Reflections if you want to pick up something locally.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree w/Zano....claying every month is definitely not needed. Once or twice a year should be plenty IMO.
If you really want your paint to look it's best, look into a porter cable orbital polisher paired with a polishing system of your choice (I'm a fan of the menzerna line), while it's not cheap it is the best way for the layman to achieve professional results. Do some searching around this section, it's been discussed a ton. Happy detailing!!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I have nbm and I feel your pain as well. Clay bar and Ice is what I use but you need to seal the ice with a nice wax on top it will help with beading and water spots. I use Meguiars gold class and it is easy to use. Then in between details keep a microfiber and quick detailer spray to alleviate trouble spots.
i do wax it. pretty much what you said sounds just like what i do.

i guess im gonna have to look into some better stuff.

thanks everyone!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Tropicare looks great on NBM- Zaino looks good too. Stay away from Wallyword type of products-they are full of oils that wash away.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

I have the same purple shine when it hits the sun, i like it sometimes, other times it pisses me off, but o well. But i agree NBM is very hard to keep clean, theres always loads of dust on it a couple hours after i give a wash, but what really bugs me is the dust shelf they call a bumper
Old 07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude I have pictures where my NBM looks teal... it's strange. But yeah this color is high maint, but honestly I didn't want cop magnet red, or brown in three days white. That on top of an affordable price, and the stripes made me happy.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up in a small fender bender and was going to repaint just one quarter.
In the end I repainted the whole car after pulling it under a well lighted area and seeing all imperfections come to life.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just be glad it has some metal flake lol
Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

I love my NBM all 145k of it!, mine seems to stay realitively clean, although I do wash it every week.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I have NBM and it actually seems to stay dirtier than my black z28 lol, I wash it and within a few seconds I see water spots and dirt all over it again. That might just be Texas weather but I have to wash my car everyday to keep it clean, it's very dusty here.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for a car, I told myself not to get black, its a PITA to keep clean. So I got this Navy Blue, and its just as bad as black.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Seriously get some Zaino, at least some Z6. That stuff really helps keep the dust (and pollen) off of the car and so that it blows right off. I put a couple layers on mine and it makes a HUGE difference
Old 08-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Banned

I feel you . I HATE the fact they added that damn purple to the mix... Whenever it is at all dirty it's got that friggin purple tint to it...

ALTHOUGH, wash that puppy and then stick her under some fluorescent lights (like at a car show) and I am orgasming in love with her all over again !

Quick Reply: starting to hate NBM