Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a rebuild, need some opinions/advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a rebuild, need some opinions/advice!

So I beat the **** out of it on Woodward. Heard a knock, got it home, tore it down. Spun rod bearing #1. Its bare block as it sits and I sent the crank out to get machined which was pretty bad. The machine shop out sources a guy to do their cranks and just cranks. He set it up walked away and came back to find out it dug a groove into the crank. Well now hes buying me a new one

As for the block I am sending it out to have cam bearings put, have it honed out and cleaned up. I am keeping it stock short block and just doing a refresh on bearings and rings. What should I do for the bearings? I heard that LS1 rod bearings are the same as SBC bearings. I want to get the Clevite77 P-series Rod and Main bearings. Is that a good setup to go with? I am also planning on getting them from Scoggin-Dickey or if anyone can get me another source that would be great. What rings should I go with? It will be N/A for a long time unless I decide to spray it. I am definately doing ARP rod bolts and head studs. The heads are getting ported and having Patriot Dual Gold springs on. I just bought a Futral F14 cam 232"/234" .598"/.598" and LS2 chain and ported oil pump. Please let me know if I should change or add anything.

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time rebuilding an LS1 and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I want to have the short block assembled in atleast 2 weeks. So throw me some opinions, advice and anything I should watch out for. My friend tells me LS1s either stay together or breakdown within the first 150 miles. Thank guys!
-Alex
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 PM

Keep us posted on your "stock" rebuild. I have one I'm trying to plan up too.

Subscribing.

Ben T.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How was Woodward? I assume you're speaking of the famous Woodward Ave. I'd love to cruise it sometime-I love the old GTO Judge add, classic.

Anywho, I would probably spend a little more and run forged Diamond pistons with a -2cc. ARP rod bolts are a great idea. Maybe even throw in some Callie connecting rods or other aftermarket rod. I would mill the heads down (esp if you run the -2cc pistons) to bump your compression up. That F14 is a great performer, but if the 240sx has a good weight advantage on the F-bodys (3000lbs or so, not sure on their weight) I would probably go with a larger cam, however, you'll be fine with it if you decide to keep it. Good luck bro
Old 08-01-2006, 07:08 AM

Those suggestions (new pistons, rods) would require a balance, and I would imagine it would require some overnight shipping and a few "favors" at the machine shop to get it taken care of that fast.

I say try it out with just new rings and bearings. There are plenty of 450 rwhp+ cars on the stock shortblock that don't bend rods and melt pistons.

Ben T.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll definately keep you guys posted. I would be happy for anything over 400WHP in my 240. I definately have a weight advantage over F bodies, my car weights 2,600 lbs. With that setup and a 4-link tub I plan on doing it will be a 10 second car. I just got my crank back also... It was milled down .040 over. That kind of scares me.

Yes it was the good ol' Woodward Ave. The dream cruise is this month on the 19th I believe. It is an absolute BLAST. Racing starts a month before and alot of cars are already out there. People from overseas come just for the cruise and rent hotels for a month in advance. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. Wheres a good place to buy bearings and rings?