Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pacesetter exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacesetter exhaust leak

I installed my headers last month with a tsp catted y and used the band clamps that came with them and had only hand tightened them and when I began hearing a leak, I thought nothing of it. Two weeks ago I had most of the y pipe welded up and some new tips and thought that should clear up the leak. It didn't, and it has only become worse.

I can't tell if it's from the header gaskets (percys from speedinc) or where the pacesetter's collector is held to the y by an impact tightened band clamp.

Here are my two questions:
Could I have developed a gasket leak with less than 1,000 miles on it already?
and
Is it reasonable to weld the headers to the y pipe?

I'm pretty sure this will be my last setup unless I decide to run duals later on down the road, but if it must be welded, it will be. Doesn't matter how loud I turn up the music, I can still hear the leak. Oh and it doesn't help I'm a perfectionist.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

if you used the pacesetter gaskets then theyre leaking
Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

he used PERCY'S and so did I ....did you get the seal-for-good or the carbon ones like i did....I also have thought about welding header to y pipe because I have a high rpm leak but i don't think it is the header gaskets and neither do 3 other people.Mine is a snapping at 3000 rpm and above only....anyone else wanta chime in.??
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seal-4-Good. I mostly hear it ad idle underneath the car and at takeoff from first gear (M6)
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used some Fel-Pro's and they seemed to work fine. Switched to the stock ones and heard the little *tick, tick, tick, tick* noise.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

I have some pacesetters sitting in the garage, should i get differnt gaskets or would the ones that came with it be fine, If i should then what would you recommend
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
I have some pacesetters sitting in the garage, should i get differnt gaskets or would the ones that came with it be fine, If i should then what would you recommend
Just get a set of stock gaskets from th edealership. They are metal instead of the cardboard ones that pacesetter gives you.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
DOn't use the ones that came with it. Get some new ones, but I don't know which ones
Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

The Multi-layered ones that come stock work great.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I would do is check and make sure all of the exhaust manifold bolts are tight. Then make sure none of the spark plugs or wires have came loose because that will create a ticking sound that will sound like an exhaust leak.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Band clamp bolts back out all the time. If they are tight and you can isolate the problem to the band clamps, you can take a sheet of aluminum foil, fold it over a bunch of times into a like 2" wide strip thats about 10" long and about 8 layers thick. Then you take the band clamp off, wrap the foil around the pipe at the slip fit, put the clamp on top of it, and tighten the holy **** out of it.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I used some Fel-Pro's and they seemed to work fine. Switched to the stock ones and heard the little *tick, tick, tick, tick* noise.
So you're saying the stock metals one did'nt seal properly and caused an exhaust leak?

I have the same faint ticking at idle and low rpm after I installed my pacesetters. It seems to be getting louder. I had a couple people listen to it and they said they could'nt hear it.

Maybe the thinner walls of the headers have just made the valvetrain noise louder? Maybe I'm just paranoid? I've never had an LS1 with LTs so I'm not sure what sounds right and what does'nt.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't see how it could be the band clamps seeing as how I torqued those with a 3/8" impact, but anything is possible. I would just hate to take off the headers again, that was a major PIA.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Traitor
So you're saying the stock metals one did'nt seal properly and caused an exhaust leak?

I have the same faint ticking at idle and low rpm after I installed my pacesetters. It seems to be getting louder. I had a couple people listen to it and they said they could'nt hear it.

Maybe the thinner walls of the headers have just made the valvetrain noise louder? Maybe I'm just paranoid? I've never had an LS1 with LTs so I'm not sure what sounds right and what does'nt.
I could feel the exhaust air pulsing out of number 3. I think that I bent the gasket before I installed it somehow. The stockers are really good though. I have since changed it out for a leak free seal.

Quick Reply: pacesetter exhaust leak