Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which By-pass valves are the SC guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which By-pass valves are the SC guys using?

I have a A&A P1SC kit on my car and it comes with the cheap *** bosch by-pass valve. Car is making 9 psi but I'm going to up the boost by another couple of pounds and next year I'm swaping to a D1SC and plan on making 14psi. I don't have much faith in these little bosch valves and I have sneakin suspicion that it may be opening under boost as it is. Packaging is a concern so I need something small for sure-what valves are you guys running or would recomend. I was looking at the HKS or the Vortech. I used to have the Vortech Mondo on my Novi 2000 5.0 mustang mustang but I had nothing but problems with it-the HKS worked like a charm but it comes in 3 boost ratings? I need something small and compact-will hold under boost and openig quick when I let off. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a mondo on mine, zero issues at all. I also used this on my P1SC car, worked very well and sealed a lot better then the stock ATI piece but I dont know if it will flow enough for a D1 @ 14psi. TurboXS or something like that makes it.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
8 Second Club

Kp what is the inlet and outlet on that?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Dont remember, 30mm or something like that, it was about the same size as the older aluminum choke pulloff type ATI bypass.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

If you are using a stock PCM and keeping the MAF you need something that recirculates. Procharger makes a version of their race valve that recirculates we used it at FLP for a F1 making 18 psi without a problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

im using the Mondo and zero issues. Dump it to the atmosphere, sounds bad ***
Old 08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

im using the vortech maxflow racing bypass, according to vortech its good to 20psi.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

I can't use the mondo because of space limitations. The smaller Vortech will work. Has anyone used the Greddy SSQ?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I ran the Vortech Mondo Bypass, 18-21 psi.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The mondo is the best sounding one ive heard, and if you vent before the maf you can vent to atmosphere.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

I have the Mondo set up to dump directly into the Vortech inlet adapter, so it's really quiet when it open under boost.

I found that it was sticking partly open when I first got it, so I opened it up and cleaned everything and lubed the shaft so it was slick (Redline synthetic grease) and it's been very consistent and quiet since then. Now I have it scheduled to lube every 3months.

Jim
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 AM
8 Second Club

Guys, guys, guys the MONDO won't fit!!!! What other alternatives do I have? There is a blow-off by Hyperboost and by TurboXS-supposed to be a direct replacement for the bosche valve. Then there is the Greedy SSQ? I need something small-like maybe a Greddy type R but I'm confused about the ratings? There's also the smaller Vortech? The blow will not even be seen and space is a real factor. I need something that works effeciently-I don't trust the $50 bosch. What's with all those $50 knock off's of the Greddy Type R on Ebay? Will they even worjk?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

I will be running the Mondo BPV. Here is a comparison between the Mondo and the stock ATI.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortech
Guys, guys, guys the MONDO won't fit!!!! What other alternatives do I have? There is a blow-off by Hyperboost and by TurboXS-supposed to be a direct replacement for the bosche valve. Then there is the Greedy SSQ? I need something small-like maybe a Greddy type R but I'm confused about the ratings? There's also the smaller Vortech? The blow will not even be seen and space is a real factor. I need something that works effeciently-I don't trust the $50 bosch. What's with all those $50 knock off's of the Greddy Type R on Ebay? Will they even worjk?

why wont it fit? maybe you need to move some stuff around underhood??
Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 AM
8 Second Club

Take a look at the pic-the powersteering rack and power steering cooler are in the way, then you have the fans. I can't move those out of the way. I just ordered a Hyperboost by-pass valve. It's supposed to be handle 20psi so we'll see. The pastic bosch peice belongs in the garbage!
Attached Thumbnails Which By-pass valves are the SC guys using?-blow-off-valve-location.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Doesn't Fit??? I just installed one on my buddies car with ZERO problems! We decided to mount it on the passenger side hose off of the intercooler before the air box and blowing toward the passenger side header. It's kinda in the way of the tensioner bolt...but who cares...ya have to remove the blower to take the damn thing off anyway...what's two pipe clamps I used 2.5in. aluminized exhaust pipe to start with...used a hole saw (the size needed for the BPV) and drilled through the pipe. I had a reducer laying around for exhaust that just fit in the flange you can buy seperately to mount the Mondo. The screws that you have with the mondo are useless and are too short to accomodate the gasket and flange that you purchased seperatly unless you have a threaded plate to fasten it to (if you have the larger vortech blower kit...it's setup for it). So stop by the hardware store and buy the same size screws but 1/4in. longer with lock nuts...(we used grade 8 for kicks). Any longer and you can't slide them in under the huge vacuum head on the mondo. After welding the reducer to the 2.5in. pipe I welded the flange on for the mondo. I cut the hose to the air box and clocked it so that the head of the mondo is above the tensioner to not interfear with the hood. We had plenty of room...and I threw some black paint on the mount and plumbing for the mondo to prevent the welds from rusting. Looks like a bought piece. It would have looked better but I don't have a TIG yet Anyway....the performance was great. The boost with the old ATI BPV wouldn't even register until later in the power band...the mondo shows boost just cracking the throttle while stopped. The valve open at idle allows the intercoolers and blower to vent the heat out of the system...unlike the factory setup which just circulated the heat around to the inlet heating it further. The venting to Atmosphere as had NO effect on the tune or drivablility of the car. Makes a nice wooosh between shifts Hope this helps...I'll try and get some pics posted tonight for you guys!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rabidbandit
Doesn't Fit??? I just installed one on my buddies car with ZERO problems! We decided to mount it on the passenger side hose off of the intercooler before the air box and blowing toward the passenger side header. It's kinda in the way of the tensioner bolt...but who cares...ya have to remove the blower to take the damn thing off anyway...what's two pipe clamps I used 2.5in. aluminized exhaust pipe to start with...used a hole saw (the size needed for the BPV) and drilled through the pipe. I had a reducer laying around for exhaust that just fit in the flange you can buy seperately to mount the Mondo. The screws that you have with the mondo are useless and are too short to accomodate the gasket and flange that you purchased seperatly unless you have a threaded plate to fasten it to (if you have the larger vortech blower kit...it's setup for it). So stop by the hardware store and buy the same size screws but 1/4in. longer with lock nuts...(we used grade 8 for kicks). Any longer and you can't slide them in under the huge vacuum head on the mondo. After welding the reducer to the 2.5in. pipe I welded the flange on for the mondo. I cut the hose to the air box and clocked it so that the head of the mondo is above the tensioner to not interfear with the hood. We had plenty of room...and I threw some black paint on the mount and plumbing for the mondo to prevent the welds from rusting. Looks like a bought piece. It would have looked better but I don't have a TIG yet Anyway....the performance was great. The boost with the old ATI BPV wouldn't even register until later in the power band...the mondo shows boost just cracking the throttle while stopped. The valve open at idle allows the intercoolers and blower to vent the heat out of the system...unlike the factory setup which just circulated the heat around to the inlet heating it further. The venting to Atmosphere as had NO effect on the tune or drivablility of the car. Makes a nice wooosh between shifts Hope this helps...I'll try and get some pics posted tonight for you guys!

Dude I have a C5 Z06-not a Fbody. The kits are totally different.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Whoops....hehehe...sorry man...got carried away...thanks for the correction I was never good at the whole speed reading thing
Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

If your A&A kit came with a Bosch, that sounds like what is used in the Vortech kits. The old Procharger by-pass valve was a basically modified a Ford choke valve. That style came with my old P600B and I changed it to an HKS. Procharger makes a pretty slick by-pass valve now. The new Procharger bypass valve should work just fine for you and fit without a problem.

This is the race by-pass valve that I am using. It's probably "a little" too big for your application. As Phil mentioned, ProCharger makes a version of the race by-pass that re-circulates... but it's too big for your application I would imagine.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

That's a blow-off valve, not a bypass.

Jim

Quick Reply: Which By-pass valves are the SC guys using?