Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse grind and newly acquired 3rd grind

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 AM
tech memeber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse grind and newly acquired 3rd grind

My reverse gear has been griding for about a month now. Reverse had been kind of hard to get into before but didn't grind. Now everytime I shift into reverse it's right on the edge of going in or not, it either kicks in with a thud when I let out the clutch slow or it pops out and starts grinding away , in which case I have to put it in first to slow down the input shaft as much as possible and then force it through the grid quickly. Even after it's in reverse it will still kick out sometimes, I have to keep pressure on it anytime I'm backing up. Also just in the last couple days my 3rd gear has a tendency grid a little bit on a quick shift and it feels kind of notchy once it's in. I'm worried that my Reverse and 3-4 gear forks are bent or that I may have bent the shifter itself trying to get it and hold it in reverse. Any ideas on what's going on there?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your Reverseis jumping out from repeated clash shifts. It may well have a bent fork as well. The 3rd issue is well known and documented. A teardown is the only start to a cure. It is extremely unlikely that your shifter is bent in any way from this. It is possible that a poorly adjusted aftermarket shifter is the cause, though...for both issues.This assumes you have changed the shifter, however.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
tech memeber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I can't attribute the problem to an aftermarket shifter, it's the factory Hurst unit. My reverse keeps getting worse, i couldn't back uphill the other day and once on flat ground it took me about 8 tries to get it in gear, I couldn't even reach the point where it would either pop in or out. Could barely reach where it started to grind.