Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How Do I Swap Faceplates On Monsoon CD HU's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Question How Do I Swap Faceplates On Monsoon CD HU's?

I've got a '98 Z28 and I finally found a Monsoon CD HU out of an '01 at a price I was willing to pay (I needed a Monsoon CD HU that could control the stock changer). It arrived today and works great! However, I want to know if it's possible to swap the faceplates from a '99 Monsoon CD HU with the '01 CD HU? The '01 has a black faceplate and the '99 has the dark gray that matches my interior.

I see how to pop the faceplates off and I also see that there's a plug after I get the faceplate off. What I don't know is if the plug is soldered to the board of the HU or can I just unplug it?

Anyone know what it takes to swap faceplates?

TIA!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very difficult to do, not worth the time. A cousin of mine gave me his cd player from his '99 silverado because my cassette player took a ****. I noticed that the brackets to mount them weren't the same, so I took them both apart to see if I could get those brackets on the cd player. Needless to say, I have a bunch of screws in a box and my tape player is torn apart. I couldn't find the tools to remove the tape player so that I could take the brackets out of there. It is definitely not worth the time. Just find one that you want and then sell yours.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

pull the bass treble etc buttons,lift the small tabs on top and bottom and it will pop off,u must unplug the harness from the faceplate and then it should be free.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sercastiK
pull the bass treble etc buttons,lift the small tabs on top and bottom and it will pop off,u must unplug the harness from the faceplate and then it should be free.
I've got the faceplate off following your directions, but a circuit board is blocking the plug to the faceplate...if I unbolt the board, will the plug just pull out? I don't want to go through all of this if the plug is soldered to the board, but if it's just a matter of unplugging it and swapping it, then I'm going to do it.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

It was really pretty easy to swap faceplates...after I unclipped it from the radio, there were 8 small bolts and the circuit board came off leaving just the plastic faceplate. I swapped the gray one for the black one and now everything matches up AND I now have an in dash CD player that can control my stock '98 changer.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

just curious, how much did you pay for the stock radio?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

My '98 Z28 came with a Cassette HU and 12 Disc Changer. I bought a '99 Monsoon CD HU for $50 from a local guy, then I paid $114 including shipping on eBay for an '01 Monsoon HU that could control the stock 12 Disc Changer (The '98 & '99 CD HU can NOT control a changer). I swapped faceplates and then I just put the '99 CD HU up on eBay, and did say that it now had a black faceplate, and I started the auction at $60 with a "Buy It Now" of $85. I had it sold within 24 hours with the "Buy It Now." So after all that, I have the radio I want, with the correct faceplate for a total outlay of $79.