Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bm shift install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bm shift install help

I need help from guys who have installed a bm shift kit for the 4l60e. I just put mine in and i have problems. several. First i couldnt locate the pressure regulator valve to put green spring in. I did the rest as per instructed. after filling fluids i put it in reverse and nothing. gas it a little and nothing. gave it more and it aacted like stall in reverse and jerked off the ramp. have a little noise in reverse a little pulsing too. shitty shifting when it finally found a gear. generally drove bad.it took off slower with usual pedal effort. any thoughts as to where i could off messed up in the install. thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Launching!

any hints? no check engine light either. I have forward motion. not sure how many gears cuz it barely shifts.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, the pressure regulator valve is to the front of the valvebody and on the driver side of the car. It will be counter sunk in a small hole with a snapring on the end. Only a small nipple will stick thru the snapring. As for the shifting, are you sure the checkballs are all in the right place? I had the B&M shift kit for a while and wasn't very happy at all. I took it out and replaced it with the Trans-Go kit and I'm much happier. Let me know what you find out and good luck!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree with the above comments. I would also make sure that you have the valve body gasket and the case gasket on the right side of the seperator plate. Double check to make sure that you have all the bolts in the right locations and torqued properly. It sounds like you have a major leak or check ***** not installed properly. Good luck, Vince.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
If I'm not mistaken, the pressure regulator valve is to the front of the valvebody and on the driver side of the car. It will be counter sunk in a small hole with a snapring on the end. Only a small nipple will stick thru the snapring. As for the shifting, are you sure the checkballs are all in the right place? I had the B&M shift kit for a while and wasn't very happy at all. I took it out and replaced it with the Trans-Go kit and I'm much happier. Let me know what you find out and good luck!
there are 7 check ***** on top of the lower valve body. one on top of the seperator plate. the 7 are unmisakenable cuz they had their own cradles that looked like no other hole. but the one on top is the one that took a little too much thinking. i'll check that one again. dont think the instructions showed the placement of the single top ball. I'll look closer. the destructions are a little on the vague side.
Now, the pic i was going by for pressure reg. showed the pressure reg close to the manual link in the area you described. i took that one out and the guts looked nothing like the pic. < strong concerns at this point. so i looked at the other valves/pistons. nothing. i actually left the green spring out cuz i never found anything that looked like the pic. the piston/valve assembly in the area has snap ring just inside the case, and an electronic connector that goes to the outside. so that area of operation should have not change because nothing was changed. just a guess. I replaced the two filter screens, put the alumiinum plug in, and drilled the two 1/8in holes and one 3/32 hole for street shifting.
now the housing case in the back passenger side by the valve body i put in the blue spacer in the top section and white and violet in the lower. how much concern does this component hold? by the exploded view it showed i was not suppost to put the two stock springs back in. am i right or very wrong?
Finally, why did you not like the bm for your ride?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I would have to agree with the above comments. I would also make sure that you have the valve body gasket and the case gasket on the right side of the seperator plate. Double check to make sure that you have all the bolts in the right locations and torqued properly. It sounds like you have a major leak or check ***** not installed properly. Good luck, Vince.
I promise I took my sweet time on this. the gaskets where clearly marked. I tend to get dexlexic so I'll give that a second look. All the holes lined up with gasket but there maybe one i missed out on. could find torque specs put i did start from center and work outward. snug first then torqued. I tried to simulate the oringinal breaking torque. crude, i know but its all i had to go by. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

I really appreciate the help, this is my DD and gotta get this fixed and right now i cant afford to let a shop take over and charge the **** outta me. I've put shift kits in before albeit in a th350 so unless i broke something driving it home I can fix this. Please stay in touch. Thanks fellas!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd check where the aluminum plug is, because its easy to put in the different hole. The tq. specs on the valvebody are 8ft.lbs., I believe. The purpose of the spacers are to shim up the acumulator pistons and firm up the shifts. I had to do this to mine with the spacers. The regulator valve is seperate pieces that sometimes come out together, did you take it apart to see if it matched the pictures? Inside there is where the spring goes. It sounds like a lack of pressure. The reason for taking out the B&M is that I could tell no difference in part throttle shifts and only a slight difference in the wide open shifts. The new TransGo kit shifts alot harder; but I will say this, in the car it is alot more difficult to put in. I hope this stuff helps you!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
I'd check where the aluminum plug is, because its easy to put in the different hole. The tq. specs on the valvebody are 8ft.lbs., I believe. The purpose of the spacers are to shim up the acumulator pistons and firm up the shifts. I had to do this to mine with the spacers. The regulator valve is seperate pieces that sometimes come out together, did you take it apart to see if it matched the pictures? Inside there is where the spring goes. It sounds like a lack of pressure. The reason for taking out the B&M is that I could tell no difference in part throttle shifts and only a slight difference in the wide open shifts. The new TransGo kit shifts alot harder; but I will say this, in the car it is alot more difficult to put in. I hope this stuff helps you!
After I got to the shop yesterday I drained the fluids and with a extra slap to the face the oil with about 25 miles on it was burnt bad. it smell like melt down. I pulled the the filter off and it had a huge crack on the top. I checked the location of check ***** and the 7 on bottom and 1 on top were correct. I'm getting pissed at this point. I still couldnt get the overdrive piston assembly back in correct-yeah no overdrive. it shot out before i got a good look at how it went in.
yes i took out every valve assembly in the front of it.not one looked like the pic. this is where i screwed up overdrive as mentioned earlier. there was no hole big enough to put the green spring in. The hobby shop on base has lifts to help with in car installs. arms got a good work out, who needs PT after doing a shift kit install? lol
lack of pressure is right because 1) the shifts are soft and 2) the car accelerates slower like it has mega slip or no fluid< which was a suspect and found out i had plenty in there. an finally, yes, you have been a huge help. I gave up yesterday and took it to a trans shop. I'll know the results in the next few hours. talking to the guy he saw I for the most part know what I'm talking about and he maybe less likely to add and add and rip off. Hopefully. I dont know shops in this area and especially this one. we'll see soon. thanks again.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Launching!

A little fyi, this morning i got the call that I had in fact burnt the hell out of everything and it needs about every major part, sun gear, band, clutchs/plates, torque convertor (still suspicious about that one but who knows?), a few valve body pistons etc, ect... im ashamed to post the cost on this one. the most expensive shift kit i have ever installed. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Ps

I hate to hear that! I'm sorry we could'nt get it figured out. So your basically gonna get a full rebuild? That stinks but at least you won't have to worry about it later. If I could afford it I'd go ahead and get the good stuff put back in. I'd go ahead and get a TansGo put in while it was apart. Good luck and let us know how everything works out! PS. Since you need to buy a converter anyways why not go with a stall. By far my best SOP mod, even over the huge cam!

Last edited by RZRSEDGE; 08-10-2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: PS

Quick Reply: Bm shift install help