Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about TD's

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about TD's

I have TSP TD's w pacesetter LT's. Problem is that I am a constant target for police because my car is very loud.. Will extending em out back be a difference? Or is it not worth the trouble and money? Im looking for an alternative route to go without having to switch the exhaust, because the TD's hands down sound best, and I cant get rid of them, I just need my car to be a bit quieter.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

change your mufflers out... get some large baffled mufflers and a true dual set up can almost sound like a stock catback
Old 08-06-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

will bringing the exhaust out back make a difference in loudness?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probally not just make the noise come out the back of the car instead of from under it...
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastHawk02
probally not just make the noise come out the back of the car instead of from under it...
Exactly.....it will only make it quieter inside the car. Still loud as hell outside the car. I was dumped first...now I'm out the back. Not a waste of money, but if you want quieter, go with a different muffler or throw on some high-flow cats. It will only cost you ~5 rwhp.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out the back with the duals is loud....out the back. dumps make the sound amplified.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put on some different mufflers, take a look at Magnaflow part # MPE-11249. These will quiet down noise and still have unrestricted flow.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Different mufflers AND go out the back and angle tips down......
Old 08-12-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

hmm
well
I really dont feel like spending another $150 on different mufflers... I really dont mind the sound, my dad does... Is there anything I can do to make him shutup about it without spending $150?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

there are some things in JEGs called '' Vortex insert cones '' by dynatech , they insert in the end of your muffler i believe and quiet it some , ive never used them but that may be something you will be interested in . other than that , yes extending out the back will quiet it , i had the same problem and after no bites on selling my true duals i reinstalled and ran it over the axle out the back , the best thing i did , its quieter now but not catback quiet , still loud but its just right for me , sounds great with bullets though i may try flowmaster 1ch in the future . i did all my own work but if your strapped for cash and cant do your own fab work id say get a price on under the axle out the back , you can find many post on this , or try the inserts .
Old 08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey7489
I have TSP TD's w pacesetter LT's. Problem is that I am a constant target for police because my car is very loud.. Will extending em out back be a difference? Or is it not worth the trouble and money? Im looking for an alternative route to go without having to switch the exhaust, because the TD's hands down sound best, and I cant get rid of them, I just need my car to be a bit quieter.

well first of what mufflers are you running???

if you want here is a soundclip of my ta. SEE SIG for what i am running.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Exactly.....it will only make it quieter inside the car. Still loud as hell outside the car. I was dumped first...now I'm out the back. Not a waste of money, but if you want quieter, go with a different muffler or throw on some high-flow cats. It will only cost you ~5 rwhp.

what i want louder?? what muffler? and yes i do not have LTs yet
Old 08-12-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have 18 inch bullet mufflers. I dont want to change the tone of my exhaust, because I love how it sounds plus I know that the setup I have gives it the most horsepower out of any setup. This kind of pisses me off that I have to do this, but I think I might bring itout back and buy those vortex cone things. BTW will SLP chrome tips look good?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

you should have went with some Sweet Thunders. It has that old school muscle downlow, and that exotic scream up top. And it's passable when you drive by a cop with them.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigman
you should have went with some Sweet Thunders. It has that old school muscle downlow, and that exotic scream up top. And it's passable when you drive by a cop with them.

he said it all....
i have some 18" Sweet Thunder mufflers...3" OD-2 1/2" ID...the car sounds like my dads 67 GTX 440...sick...and when i hit it..O MAN...never had a problem with ANY 5-o's and i can idle out of my neighborhood and not wake up a soul...too bad the MS3 is on the way MU HA H AH AH A

GET EM!
Old 08-12-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

I can't imagine you being a "constant target for cops" unless you drive like a douche all the time, every time. I've had TDs for over a year in my cammed SS, and I've never even had a cop look twice at me about them. Thousands of other TD guys would likely say the same thing.

Instead of spending stupid money to modify the exhaust, why not just modify your right foot a tad?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I can't imagine you being a "constant target for cops" unless you drive like a douche all the time, every time. I've had TDs for over a year in my cammed SS, and I've never even had a cop look twice at me about them. Thousands of other TD guys would likely say the same thing.

Instead of spending stupid money to modify the exhaust, why not just modify your right foot a tad?
..........." Right Foot Mod " ..........
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am getting extremely tired of my TSP Catted Y and LM set up. I am considering going to a TSP TD set up just because its simple. I run stock height and i still have terrible clearance. I cant imagine tds being any worse.

The only thing that i am concerned with is the sound. Or the loudness, rather. Sweet thunders are the way to go? As far as the right foot mod, im a 1st 3rd 5th driver b/c i try my hardest to squeeze 18mpg in town. has anyone else ever compared the loudness of a LT catted Y LM set up to a true dual set up?

Also, the drone...how bad compared to my set up?

Quick Reply: Question about TD's