Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge

Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil Pressure Gauge

Just bought an Electric Autometer Oil Pressure gauge...mine is still working but want to hook up this new one.....can someone describe installation please.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-06-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

I searched and found that it is pin# B-14 ..Tan colored....someone else must have done this.!!! ???? HELP ME...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no point to buying an aftermarket gauge and then tapping into the stock sending unit. You will have two of the same gauges giving the same reading. Also, tapping into the stock sending using can negatively affect both gauges. You need to install a new sending unit somwhere in the block.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
There is no point to buying an aftermarket gauge and then tapping into the stock sending unit. You will have two of the same gauges giving the same reading. Also, tapping into the stock sending using can negatively affect both gauges. You need to install a new sending unit somwhere in the block.
new sending unit is included with gauge also----the directions just aren't that good... I guess I just install new sending unit..hook up the + and run a ground....will the Autometer unit screw in to stock location.?? would like to know that before removing the original.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-06-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

There is a ton of info on the install if you do a search. Basically you install the autometer sending unit in the oil diverter right next to the oil filter. Pull it off and you'll have to drill and tap the existing hole to fit the autometer sending unit. Screw in sender and run your wires according to directions.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
new sending unit is included with gauge also----the directions just aren't that good... I guess I just install new sending unit..hook up the + and run a ground....will the Autometer unit screw in to stock location.?? would like to know that before removing the original.
I think if you remove your stocker your car wont start. Doesnt low oil pressure shut the car off?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
I think if you remove your stocker your car wont start. Doesnt low oil pressure shut the car off?
I wish it would

There is a ton of info on the install if you do a search. Basically you install the autometer sending unit in the oil diverter right next to the oil filter. Pull it off and you'll have to drill and tap the existing hole to fit the autometer sending unit. Screw in sender and run your wires according to directions.
I think he means that the directions don't tell him how to install it on an LS1, in which case he's correct. The directions that come from Autometer afre very general. I think instead of drilling and tapping, either of the two oil galley plugs can be removed and then an adapter used. Not the plugs behind the front and rear covers, the two threaded ones on the outside of the block.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

This doesn't sound as easy as I had hoped....
Old 08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I wish it would

I think he means that the directions don't tell him how to install it on an LS1, in which case he's correct. The directions that come from Autometer afre very general. I think instead of drilling and tapping, either of the two oil galley plugs can be removed and then an adapter used. Not the plugs behind the front and rear covers, the two threaded ones on the outside of the block.
Do I remove the old sender and plug that hole ??? AND as far as not hooking up to the stock sending unit..why not--most people say it is the actual gauge that does not read right..why wouldn't the send.unit work from the factory.?? **** Is the stock sending unit ONLY calibrated for THAT particular gauge.???????? Guess I will call Autometer Monday..

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 08-06-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The stock sending unit may not use the same signal as the Autometer gauge. You need to leave the stock gauge and sending unit alone. The new Autometer gauge must be installed 100% independent of the stock gauge. You need to find a souce or pressurized oil that you can put the sending unit into. If you wish, I can help you with this.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

This is where I put mine.

Just have to drill and tap for the sender. Don't go too deep on the threads. 1/8 inch NPT. Pretty easy to do.

Thread about it.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...pressure+guage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge