Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Does TJ Wong sell nitrous at his shop???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does TJ Wong sell nitrous at his shop???

I'm just wondering in case I run out of nitrous while I'm there. I forgot to ask him when I had him on the phone.

A 200hp shot won't last very long.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know but I don't think so.... Baxtors auto usually has Nitrous refills and there should be one around there try baxtorautoparts.com for a location. If not you can always go further into the Janzen beach area near PIR I'm sure there is a place that sell nitrous in that area. Thats the only area I know of in Portland to get race gas....
Old 08-06-2006, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Baxters AP about 5 minutes from me sells the NOS refills. I don't get enough calls on it to justify a fillings station.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tjwong
Baxters AP about 5 minutes from me sells the NOS refills. I don't get enough calls on it to justify a fillings station.
That will work! If I run out, I can get some there.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jon are you going to Toms today?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get one, they will come.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

yea im interested u get it tuned????
Old 08-07-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear once they got a few small things taken care of it went well
Old 08-08-2006, 01:02 AM
FormerVendor

The tuning went well after cleaning the MAF sensor. The car was very lean after the first pull. Some things are so simple that sometimes we don't see it even if its right in front of you We pulled the MAF sensor off, I cleaned it off with contact cleaner and using a soft tissue soaked with contact cleaner, I gently cleaned the sensing elements. Once that was done, I got my fuel back! I gave him a reasonably conservative tune because I knew he was going to throw NOS at the engine. I got 404hp @ 6500 RPM with a 11.9 to 12.0 AFR across the board. Our first NOS pull ended up in corrupted data, because I hazed the tires on the rolls when the NOS hit. The only thing I confirmed was that the AFR was safe, and that I had a bit of KR. I tweaked the timing maps, made a second pass, found no KR made nearly 500 RWHP and ran out of NOS The car just runs like there is no tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I hear once they got a few small things taken care of it went well
Well I finally got home and it did go well......thanks Ellis! TJ really made it come together.

I had some major A/F issues and we had no idea why. The car was running way lean 13.5-14.0 with no clue why! TJ tried several methods to richen it up but nothing worked.

Finally we found that the MAF was FILTHY. The filliments were coated with dirt and couldn't give a good reading of the air. So TJ cleaned the maf up and BAM.......we got good A/F readings.

So after about 7 hours of tuning we finally got some decent dyno pulls.

My N/A pull was 402rwhp and 374rwtq on the mustang dyno............now here is the funny part. Once TJ got the timing situated and felt comfortable with getting the dyno run we started the first pull.

Picture this........here I am standing next to the car with a fire extinguisher just in case! And TJ's got all this equipment in his hands, an fuel pressure sensor plugged into my fuel rail with the gauge taped to the window so he can read the fuel pressure. Then he starts the pull! Now you have to understand that the previous dyno pulls were insanely loud and I had to plug my ears so they wouldn't hurt.

But on the nitrous pull. ........the car was shifted into fourth and TJ goes WOT. The car accelerates like normal then BAM!!! the nitrous hits and the car screams 3 times louder than any of the other pulls and the *** end just squirms trying to come loose. TJ had to shut it down because the car was just spinning the tires on the dyno drums!!!

That dyno graph looked like someone threw spaghetti at the screen.

So we try to get at least one decent pull before I head home! The next try goes a little better. TJ didn't start the dyno pull untill later in the RPM range to try and detour the violent introduction of the nitrous!

So he gets it to pull somewhat only spinning the tires a small amount.........that pull netted the 492rwhp!

So we talked afterwords and figured that it was all mainly atomization issues and traction issues. We were basically trying to justify why 150hp shot only netted us 90rwhp on the dyno.

Well on my way home....coming north bound on the I-5 I just had to open it up. So I arm the bottle and hit it WOT at about 40mph in 2nd gear. As I went WOT I noticed a huge amound of spuddering like the nitrous was only going into the motor in spurts.

So I slowed down and purged then went for it again with the same exact results. So I pull over and notice that there is almost no nitrous in the bottle!

TJ pulled 90rwhp from an empty bottle. I feel much better now. Not to mention that this visit was strictly to ensure the car was tuned to handle the nitrous. I figure I can hit up a dyno day or just cruise on up to Turbo Tech for some peak numbers when I get a wild hair.

So next up is the roll bar!!!! What a PITA that is going to be.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad it is all good now Jon!

BTW I pulled 60RWHP out of a 80 HP shot for referance and it was good for 8/10ths
Old 08-08-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

The tuning went well after cleaning the MAF sensor. The car was very lean after the first pull. Some things are so simple that sometimes we don't see it even if its right in front of you We pulled the MAF sensor off, I cleaned it off with contact cleaner and using a soft tissue soaked with contact cleaner, I gently cleaned the sensing elements. Once that was done, I got my fuel back! I gave him a reasonably conservative tune because I knew he was going to throw NOS at the engine. I got 404hp @ 6500 RPM with a 11.9 to 12.0 AFR across the board. Our first NOS pull ended up in corrupted data, because I hazed the tires on the rolls when the NOS hit. The only thing I confirmed was that the AFR was safe, and that I had a bit of KR. I tweaked the timing maps, made a second pass, found no KR made nearly 500 RWHP and ran out of NOS The car just runs like there is no tomorrow!
Thanks TJ! I'm a very happy camper right now.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I am glad it is all good now Jon!

BTW I pulled 60RWHP out of a 80 HP shot for referance and it was good for 8/10ths
Thanks! That kit is rated at the wheels according to nitrous Dave. So IMO if we were to hit the dyno with a full bottle and some tricks to keep the wheels from blowing away on the dyno drums........I'm betting that it'll see 550rwhp or more! (depending on the the temp., dyno, etc.)

But honestly.........dyno numbers don't mean squat! Its how it performs at the track.

So the 19th is going to be a very interesting day indeed.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Jon, sounds like a great day, congrats!

Perry
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

bad ***!!!!! that sounds so sick!!! im so jealous right now
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys! I apprectiate it.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

NW Corvette Nitrous Shoot Out on the 19th, be there or be sqaure.
Robert
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert
Isn't that a track day though? I was torn between the two!

I'd really like to hit the track, but I'd like to get some good numbers. I could always get dyno numbers though..........just not for such a good deal.

What are you going to do? Dyno or race?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert
Oh, BTW this Friday is a T&T at Pacific and I was thinking about trying to get kicked out!

Well maybe not try, but get used to the setup. Tweak it a bit, then go for the money run!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Isn't that a track day though? I was torn between the two!

I'd really like to hit the track, but I'd like to get some good numbers. I could always get dyno numbers though..........just not for such a good deal.

What are you going to do? Dyno or race?
That's the CCC double points race and the NW top ten shoot out (19th).
I'll be at Pacific Friday for sure, got to get the car dialed in if I can.
Robert

Quick Reply: Does TJ Wong sell nitrous at his shop???