Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

When to get new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When to get new tires?

I have some pirellis on firehawk rims. The front ones are almost bald (minimal thread left) (used to be on the rear but i rotated). The back ones are past the wear bar and to me have a little bit of life left.

The tires don't screech around corners or anything like that and they still worked ok in the rain. Do they absolutely need to be changed now or can i kill them till they are bald/down to the cords?

I think i will wait till the end of the summer (16 days for me) and do a few massive burnouts to kill the rears. CAr will be stored over the winter and i will get new ones first thing in the spring. That way i don't even have to worry about flat spots on the tires. Does that sound good?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you already answered your own question . . . .

Tires squeeling around corners has absolutely nothing to do with them needing to be replaced . . .

A tire worn below the tread wear indicators needs to be replaced PERIOD.

If you feel safe driving your car on worn out tires, well, that is your choice . . .

If you are going to drive your car only 16 more days, weel sure wait till next year to get them, but alway keep and eye out for a sale and possibly save your self a few bucks.

New technoligy tires really do not flat spot, and if they doo they roll out in a few miles.