Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac clutch not engaging, only bottom vents working, no climate controls do anything

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac clutch not engaging, only bottom vents working, no climate controls do anything

have a 2002 trans am at the shop im puzzled with.. the ac clutch doesnt engage (we just recharged the refrigerant), the climate controls dont work except for fan speed, only the bottom vents operate no matter where the controls are set.

computer throws codes for lack of class 2 communication, and lack of communcation with IPC. fuses all look ok, car never had problem with HVAC controls before and only has 8000 miles on it.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

vac leak....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you pull the manifold off? Theres a TINY vacuum connector back there that points toward teh driver side of the car. This should explain your vent controll. If the compressor isn't pulling in, get under the car with a multi-meter, unplug the connector from the compressor, stick it on volts DC, and check it. Should be 0 when off and 12.xx when on. If you don't have voltage, its a pressure switch/inside switch problem. If you do have voltage, the compressor and/or clutch is shot. If the clutch is shot, you need a whole new one as you can't buy the clutch seperate.

If the compressor is shot, you're in luck because I've got a 'vette compressor I'll sell you for $70 shipped.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same problem with my car - air from the floor only and AC compressor not turning on - system properly charged. Reconnecting the vacuum hose not only corrected the air distribution problem, but it also allowed the compressor to kick on. This is the only car I've ever worked on where the HVAC vacuum source affected the AC compressor clutch...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Any progress yet Bill?

Check that two wire connector by the ECU, maybe it is in backwards... either way I miss my car.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or the two way check valve located near the PCM is broken. They crack easy and will cause your problem too
Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Bill could you answer you phone please, and check this check valve.