Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1870 Code on the 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1870 Code on the 4l60e

Recently sold my 97 v6 camaro to a buddy. The car is just about to roll over to 100k, and as soon as I sold it, it throws the infamous p1870 code. I've searched and read a lot about it, and he's getting hard 1-2 shifts (but I haven't driven it yet to experience it myself.) I read that getting a shift kit will replace the worn-out springs (not sure what springs) and solve this problem, also read the torque converter is shot. He took it to a tranny shop today and they said that he needed a new trans mount, and new torque converter.... they quoted him $750 parts and labor, or $1500 for a complete rebuild. He's just going off to college and can't afford either of these.

I know we can do the tranny mount ourselves, I've done it on my z28 already. As for the shift kit, will that actually solve the problem? Or is it more than likely the torque converter? If so, how hard is a torque converter installation? I've got a 2800 stall I got for free from a friend's uncle's' trans am, so I'll be tackling that installation in a while. Should he save up for the rebuild (it's only a 97, and I know these trannys are tanks)? Should he pay for the TC to be replaced? Or should we replace the TC with an aftermarket stall (nothing expensive, he's broke) or a stock replacement?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I got a p1870 today at the dealer. They installed a new converter lock-up solenoid and made things worse. Before I got there at least the converter locked up sometimes, now it doesn't do **** and I have a 740 code.

Dealers suck *** for anything too technical. Now I have to go tonight and have a friend try to figure it out.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't ****** work. I need a new valve body. Putting that bitch in on Saturday. I guess it has 150,000 miles on it so its ready.

4L60E's = The Suck

Oh, the ******** at the dealer put the solenoid in, but the fool put the red wire to the black and the black to the red Some people are just walking morons.

Mechanics are lucky they can fake being good at their job, if I do that people die.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
Recently sold my 97 v6 camaro to a buddy. The car is just about to roll over to 100k, and as soon as I sold it, it throws the infamous p1870 code. I've searched and read a lot about it, and he's getting hard 1-2 shifts (but I haven't driven it yet to experience it myself.) I read that getting a shift kit will replace the worn-out springs (not sure what springs) and solve this problem, also read the torque converter is shot. He took it to a tranny shop today and they said that he needed a new trans mount, and new torque converter.... they quoted him $750 parts and labor, or $1500 for a complete rebuild. He's just going off to college and can't afford either of these.

I know we can do the tranny mount ourselves, I've done it on my z28 already. As for the shift kit, will that actually solve the problem? Or is it more than likely the torque converter? If so, how hard is a torque converter installation? I've got a 2800 stall I got for free from a friend's uncle's' trans am, so I'll be tackling that installation in a while. Should he save up for the rebuild (it's only a 97, and I know these trannys are tanks)? Should he pay for the TC to be replaced? Or should we replace the TC with an aftermarket stall (nothing expensive, he's broke) or a stock replacement?

PM sent. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin

Mechanics are lucky they can fake being good at their job, if I do that people die.

so if a mechanic does a shitty brake job on a 12 passenger van full of kids people don't die?

apparantly you have a sorry dealer. all the dealers i worked for had very good techs and fixed stuff right the first time. we usually did all the stuff that other shops couldn't figure out. apparently that tech is a total moron or he would have not only hooked up the solenoid correctly but also would have known that the solenoid is not the problem and never is on an 1870 with no other codes. i would find another dealer with techs that actually know thing or two.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
so if a mechanic does a shitty brake job on a 12 passenger van full of kids people don't die?

apparantly you have a sorry dealer. all the dealers i worked for had very good techs and fixed stuff right the first time. we usually did all the stuff that other shops couldn't figure out. apparently that tech is a total moron or he would have not only hooked up the solenoid correctly but also would have known that the solenoid is not the problem and never is on an 1870 with no other codes. i would find another dealer with techs that actually know thing or two.
Its the valve body that needs replacing. My friend scanned it at his house after I left the dealer and told me that. And people expect to get proper service at any dealer by their factory trained and certified techs, you're not supposed to drive from dealer to dealer spending money at each one until you find a shining star GREAT dealer like the ones you know of, that fix everything the first time all the time. You would AT THE VERY LEAST expect the morons to have looked up the code and known it wasn't a solenoid.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

+1 on the valve body, here is an updated GM part #24217871
for the body. you'll also need the channel plate gaskets. be careful with the check *****. there is 4 in the body and 4 in the case.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

Default 1870

you dont need to replace the valve body if the valve is stuck!

they sell a repair kit for this.. or install a transgo kit it corrected

mine! make sure you adjust the clearance on the band properly too

the kit will include the shims to do so.. damn where did he go

to?? AAMCO ?

Quick Reply: P1870 Code on the 4l60e