Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Very tough to get into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very tough to get into reverse

We just got done putting a new motor and clutch in a buddy's car and now it's very tough to get into reverse. When the car isn't running you have to really push over to the right to get it in. While the car is running it's next to impossible to get it to go past 5th/6th to the right. That seems to be where the problem is but I'm not sure where to go from here.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the reverse lock-out solenoid. The factory computer/programming locks out reverse while you're driving so you don't accidentally shift into reverse, but I think the solenoid needs to be powered up properly to allow reverse when you want it.

What are the details on the car/motor you've just swapped (I mean, is it an LT1 or LS1, or is it a retro-fit or something??) If you've just done a basic re & re, make sure you got all the wires hooked up on the tranny (the reverse lock-out is on the driver's side, near the tail of the tranny).
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The car is an 01 SS with a 408 and stock T56. It was working fine before the swap. We've checked all the fuses and the plugs are in right. The car is also getting a MAF code. I'm pretty sure I read the reverse lock out and maf are the same circuit. Is there something else we could be missing? Did we miss a power or ground somewhere?