Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Initial start up Question's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Initial start up Question's

Guys,

I am just about finished with my STS install and being new to this whole scene I am wondering if you can give me some thoughts on what my process should be for starting this thing up for the first time. The STS system I have is used and was setup for 8PSI. I have injectors but have not put them in because I'll need to tune for them. What do I need to do and make sure I have right before I start this thing up to avoid hurting anything. I read in the manual that I need to basically prime the oil pump, but is there anything else I need to do or watch for? Can I drive the car at all before I tune it? If so, do I have to just crawl to the tuning shop till I get the injectors in?

Thanks for any help in advance....
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would install the injectors and rent a u-haul auto transport or something if you can.
how far away is the shop your taking it to?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Around 10 miles or so....but I have to use the highway to get there. Owner of the place said he would pick it up for $30 because he lives pretty close to me.

So don't try to fire the car up at all before I take it to them????
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

No don't run the car with the wrong injectors.

Also make sure that your oil scavange pump is working before hand, fire it up on the stock injectors and make sure your oil is returning to the pan correctly and not coming past turbo seals and stuff. Many people mess up their STS oil system.

After you verify that feel free to drive it to your shop without getting into boost at all, then throw the injectors in and leave it there for tuning, or put the injectors in and tow it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

"Also make sure that your oil scavange pump is working before hand, fire it up on the stock injectors and make sure your oil is returning to the pan correctly and not coming past turbo seals and stuff. Many people mess up their STS oil system."

How do I make sure it is not coming past the turbo seals? I know to test the oil pump with the return and all that good stuff but I'm pretty new to the turbo scene and even with as much reading as I've done, I still have a lot to learn. I also, know not to run the car with the new injectors. I was just asking if it was ok to run the car without them....which appears to be yes...just don't boost it.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

on my set up it poored oil out the exhaust side of the turbos
I put a pump on it and the problem went away