Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

B & M Shifter Replacement Ideas?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default B & M Shifter Replacement Ideas?...

Well, I think my short throw B & M shifter has finally screwed up my tranny fork. Gears 3 and 4 grind terribly when shifting so now I'm looking at getting a new tranny fork and new 3 and 4 syncros. I guess my question is, what aftermarket shifters come with the stop bolts? I know the B & M shifters don't come with them and I am now a true believer that they are important to have. I like the B & M but without the stop bolts I don't want to risk anything again.

Thanks

Last edited by Halloran; 08-08-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought the B&M Ripper came with the stop bolts, just that B&M says they're not normally required? Unless you're in the mood to try a different shifter just for the sake of the stop bolts, then why not try installing them with your B&M and see if that helps the 3/4 shifting problem??
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My B&Ms have both had stop screws in them - and yes, I have two of them. The other one I bought only months ago.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

I called B & M today and per their associate he said, "We do not carry a shifter for the T56 in a trans am that comes with stop bolts". So maybe he was mistaken?...Any other ideas maybe I should call back?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

go through Thunder racing
pick up there B&M has stop bolts and instructions even

very easy install excellent piece
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
go through Thunder racing
pick up there B&M has stop bolts and instructions even

very easy install excellent piece
ditto, only they say in the instructions that the stop bolts arent necessary if you dont drive hard. 3k miles later and no track runs my 3rd gear grinds like a Jersey boy in a club
Old 08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

So I should check out Thunder Racing for short throw shifters? Do all of their T56 shifters come with stop bolts? I'm kind of an amateur to the whole stop bolt thing but do they have to be installed IN the tranny or are the just bolt on (i.e. I can do it myself?). The B & M was retarded easy to put in I just want to make sure when I get my tranny down to the shop that I don't need the shifter once they have the thing disassembled and on the bench. I would like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak if the stop bolts need to go in the tranny.

Thanks again for the advice, Nick
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stop bolts go in the base of the shifter itself. Even with the shifter bolted on, they're exposed ... they just stop the handle from going too far forward/back.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the B&M and have grinding from first to second and then to third, once in awhile, I thought it was because I shifted to fast, also I have a hell of a time getting it into reverse, and it likes to pop out? I take it I may have the fork issue also from using the B&M, I was almost positive my shifter came with stops when I first purchased it five years ago. This shifter has been tight since the day I purchased it.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
ditto, only they say in the instructions that the stop bolts arent necessary if you dont drive hard. 3k miles later and no track runs my 3rd gear grinds like a Jersey boy in a club

Yup. 3k miles exactly here too. Pro 5.0, but I backed in the bolts and didn't utilize them. Stupid me. Sucks so hard..
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Yup. 3k miles exactly here too. Pro 5.0, but I backed in the bolts and didn't utilize them. Stupid me. Sucks so hard..
it stopped me from getting any runs in this year cause the fork is bent so bad it wont let me shift hard

by the way, i'm letting my voice known at B&M cause it says in the instructions that they aren't necessary unless you drive very very hard. mine went while i was still breaking in a clutch
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
9 Second Club

I have the B&M. I never put the stop bolts in either. My '01 had around 15k very abusive miles on it with that shifter and I never had any issues.

It's now on my '02 without the stops and this one has 24k on it without issue.

Other things can contribute to grinding 3-4 or any gear. Does it still grind if you double clutch it into 3rd or 4th?

Do you powershift alot??
Miss shifts?
Rev match when downshifting?
Worn syncros?
Bleed the clutch?
Burnt fluid?
Smoked the clutch?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

By anychance would you guys know the size of the stop bolts? Cause I just installed a B&M and it didn't have the stop bolts cause I purchased it used. To me without the stop bolts it feels like stock to me. I cause with putting the stop bolts I should seemuch shorter shift right? If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by scof0elife
By anychance would you guys know the size of the stop bolts? Cause I just installed a B&M and it didn't have the stop bolts cause I purchased it used. To me without the stop bolts it feels like stock to me. I cause with putting the stop bolts I should seemuch shorter shift right? If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks!
The T-56 transmission has internal stops, so the stop bolts in the shifter base won't do anything for you to make the shifts feel shorter.

Quick Reply: B & M Shifter Replacement Ideas?...