Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Possible Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Tranny Problem

Hey guys, I was leaving my driveway today and I put my car in reverse. I started backing up and I heard a pop on the back of the car. I stopped, thinking it popped out of gear, tried to put it back in reverse but it wouldn't go in. It did on the third try, but made a grinding noise when the clutch was engaged. I put it in first and pulled forward to make sure it was working, then hit reverse again, it worked finally with no problems. Later on, I put the car in reverse and it made the grinding noise again (like it wasn't all the way in gear), but worked on the second try. All of my other gears seem to be working fine...Any ideas as to this problem????

99 Firebird Formula, M6, clutch upgrade (just bought it, not sure what clutch), stock otherwise.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulaguy
Hey guys, I was leaving my driveway today and I put my car in reverse. I started backing up and I heard a pop on the back of the car. I stopped, thinking it popped out of gear, tried to put it back in reverse but it wouldn't go in. It did on the third try, but made a grinding noise when the clutch was engaged. I put it in first and pulled forward to make sure it was working, then hit reverse again, it worked finally with no problems. Later on, I put the car in reverse and it made the grinding noise again (like it wasn't all the way in gear), but worked on the second try. All of my other gears seem to be working fine...Any ideas as to this problem????

99 Firebird Formula, M6, clutch upgrade (just bought it, not sure what clutch), stock otherwise.

No idea. But if it feels like it is going to grind in R try to push the clutch in. Let off and then try it again almost like double clutching it.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be time for a clutch. Drain the fluid and try If that dont work then its a clutch problem. Or try this put the car in reverse with it off start the car try to back up if it pops out of gear thenit could be in your tranny. But if it works. Then take it out of reverse and try again to put it in reverse if it grinds its a clutch.