Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

custom front mount turbo build..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default custom front mount turbo build..

sorry for the post but ive searched so much for the past 30 minutes my eyes are hurting and i cant seem to come up with anything. well my plan is to build a custom set up using a t76 and run around 5-6 psi stock until i get forged internals and then go around 12-15 psi <---- way down the road i know!.... ive already got a list of stuff to buy as far as oil return, bov, wastegate, etc. but my questions are quite simple just hard to find. does anyone have a drawing on there computer of a exhaust flange for some tubular manifolds? i wont be able to take mine off as its my dd. and those of you guys who have done custom front mounts, what did you do about your downpipe? im trying to figure out where to go being that k member is all in the way...i want to keep my a/c and if any of you guys have done this could you please chime in and maybe even link me to some pics of your build progress/clearance on piping. thanks in advance!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of these questions can be answered here.
Lots of pics too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/508764-truck-manifold-turbo-set-up-faq-s.html

As for drawings of flanges? What flanges are you looking for? Turbo flanges, manifold flanges?

DP can be routed above or below its up to you and the room, K member you have.
J
Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98hardtopZ
sorry for the post but ive searched so much for the past 30 minutes my eyes are hurting and i cant seem to come up with anything. well my plan is to build a custom set up using a t76 and run around 5-6 psi stock until i get forged internals and then go around 12-15 psi <---- way down the road i know!.... ive already got a list of stuff to buy as far as oil return, bov, wastegate, etc. but my questions are quite simple just hard to find. does anyone have a drawing on there computer of a exhaust flange for some tubular manifolds? i wont be able to take mine off as its my dd. and those of you guys who have done custom front mounts, what did you do about your downpipe? im trying to figure out where to go being that k member is all in the way...i want to keep my a/c and if any of you guys have done this could you please chime in and maybe even link me to some pics of your build progress/clearance on piping. thanks in advance!
So let me get this straight, your trying to design a turbo kit yourself for a car you daily drive?

I don't mean to be rude at all but this really sounds like a bad idea unless you are really good at taking your car apart, working on your kit then reassembling your car for your driving requirements. Turbo kits are time consuming to develop, esp your first one, and expensive too.

BTW : You can order header flanges for LS1s and T3/T4/T6 flanges pretty easy, check ebay. You might also get a turbular kmember to help with clearance issues.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
So let me get this straight, your trying to design a turbo kit yourself for a car you daily drive?

I don't mean to be rude at all but this really sounds like a bad idea unless you are really good at taking your car apart, working on your kit then reassembling your car for your driving requirements. Turbo kits are time consuming to develop, esp your first one, and expensive too.

BTW : You can order header flanges for LS1s and T3/T4/T6 flanges pretty easy, check ebay. You might also get a turbular kmember to help with clearance issues.

Ill have to agree there... buy a Beater 1st to drive around......
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill be getting a car around christmas, i have a machine shop so i could make flanges, i have access to all kinds of stainless steel, etc. i have cnc machines and i would like to make as much as possible in house before i went and bought anything.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

ill be getting a car around christmas, i have a machine shop so i could make flanges, i have access to all kinds of stainless steel, etc. i have cnc machines and i would like to make as much as possible in house before i went and bought anything.
Buying a few flanges will be the least of your costs, however it sounds like you are on the right track with a machine shop, I had my local shop make my T4 flanges, but cut some flanges off a set of LS1 headers I didn't want anymore for my header flanges.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

your sig says you have triple turbos and 1600hp, what more could you want?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
your sig says you have triple turbos and 1600hp, what more could you want?

He is still using one of thoes old "chromoly flux capacitor", I think thats his biggest problem.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

And hitting 6 seconds in the quarter on the stock rear
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i figured another turbo wouldnt hurt anything...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i figured another turbo wouldnt hurt anything...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ever consider a .. Dare I say...

Tornado!!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

That would definitely blow the stock rear.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

get some exhaust manifold gaskets to base your flanges off of

had mine done on a waterjet machine
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a good idea...i think to hard on stuff that i overthink it, that never crossed my mind....thanks!