Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

window motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window motor

i have a 02 ta and my window on the drivers side will not roll down. when you push the button it makes a winding or whining noise but nothing happens. what should i check and is it most likely the motor that is bad.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

I'm starting to have the same problem with my passenger window...
Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Have you replaced the motor @ all????
Do you know if it has been replaced?

IF so, sounds as though one of the little bolt/nut's have came loose & the motor is hanging there... EASY FIX!!

Take the inner skin off the door and take a look...

If it has never been replaced then it will have factory rivets that hold the motor in place... If it has been rplaced you will see where holes have been drilled and replaced with screws...

Get you a new motor @ Auto Zone... Lifetime warranty... Do it yourself..

Good luck.. hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if the motor is still making noise, but not moving at all, i would suggest like pewtery2k said and venture a guess that the factory rivets may have worked there way out. and the motor is just kinda hanging there...my passanger side window did this about a month ago.

when you buy a new motor, it comes with 3 hardened bolt/nuts to hold the motor onto the assembly

it's definatly a pain in the *** to swap out the window motors in these cars. my step dad and i did a few in my parents 30th TA, when one went in my SS i took it to a body shop cause i didn't wanna mess with it...that and girlfriend at the time's family owned the shop = no labor and cost on parts...cha-ching!
Old 08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Great GM quality! My driver side was freezing up every once in a while, so I had it fixed. Now my passenger side takes about twice as long to go up as the driver side does, so back to the shop this fall for warranty repair. Also have something wrong with shocks/suspension. It makes a creaking noise in the rear right tire well area, but I want to aftermarket parts there soon, so I just tolerate that. And my fuse panel keeps falling off all the time by the driver side of dashboard.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

ive replaced my passenger side window 2 times already. the 1st time was only at 22k miles. when you get a new window motor make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty cause they will go out again. the wierd thing is that my driver side hasent went out yet. close to 45k miles on it.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
i have a 02 ta and my window on the drivers side will not roll down. when you push the button it makes a winding or whining noise but nothing happens. what should i check and is it most likely the motor that is bad.
Ha. I changed my driver side factory motor 2 or 3 years ago. Last week I'm driving from a meeting in the middle of the day and decide to roll up the windows and driver's side is DEAD. 10 mins later it's pouring rain. I drove straight to the autozone, bought a new window motor and a cheap set of tools and changed it right in the parking lot since I was a good 25 miles from home. Took me about an hour start to finish. Of course it stopped raining by the time I was finished but I still had to go home and shower and change clothes since I was a sweaty filthy mess.

Quick Reply: window motor