Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New QTP LTs Installed

Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New QTP LTs Installed

Just a little write up about my QTP LT experience.
I got these for $681.83 shipped from Thunder Racing thanks to their July 3-4 sale. I bought them on the 3rd and they came on the 1st of August.
I did the install in my garage with a couple ramps and a flat jack by myself (my bro punked out on me). It took about 3 hours on Saturday and then about 2 hours last night. I struggled to get the driver's side in for about 20 minutes to no avail. After a quick search on LS1Tech I found a post about putting them up in front of the drain plug (thanks Silverhawk). Then they went right in. Passenger side was easy except for tightening the rear-most bolt wich was slow going. I used a box to hold them up tight from the bottom while I torqued down the bolts.

This is an M6 car which may or may not make a difference but there are no fitment or clearance issues. There is alot of space everywhere so I'm pretty happy about that after hearing about recent issues with these headers.

I also had a QTP Y with dual cutouts (which used to be on a different car)but after about 10 mins of trying it looks like it will be easiest to have a shop do that part since some of the ends need to be enlarged to slide on and I suspect a few inches of pipe will need to be fabbed up.

In the mean time I'm driving around with open headers. There is some major noise and vibration and the check engine light has come on until I get the rear O2s and AIR tuned out. I am really enjoying people's reactions to the noise.

The Good: Didn't take too long, excellent fitment, high quality headers, setting off people's car alarms, frightening children etc.

The Bad: The ringing in my ears after driving, lots of vibration for now, numerous chunks of flesh missing from my arms and hands, bruised ribs feel worse from all the rolling around.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

sounds about right man....****...gotta love em!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also picked up a set from Thunder Racing during that sale. Best price I have seen to date. I am so glad that yours fit. I have not installed mine yet. I have been concerned about the reports of poor fitment. Hopefully this is a good omen.

Has your car made any small children cry yet?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bsf
I also picked up a set from Thunder Racing during that sale. Best price I have seen to date. I am so glad that yours fit. I have not installed mine yet. I have been concerned about the reports of poor fitment. Hopefully this is a good omen.

Has your car made any small children cry yet?
I hope this can be taken as a good sign that the latest stuff may be back to expected quality. The Collectors were a little oval shaped but that was easily fixed with a quick foot stomp. I used the gaskets I got in the box and they are working great.

Heh, no crying children, at least not that I could hear but I have seen mothers grab their children and hold them close as I drive by.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MISERICORDIA
Just a little write up about my QTP LT experience.
I got these for $681.83 shipped from Thunder Racing thanks to their July 3-4 sale. I bought them on the 3rd and they came on the 1st of August.
I did the install in my garage with a couple ramps and a flat jack by myself (my bro punked out on me). It took about 3 hours on Saturday and then about 2 hours last night. I struggled to get the driver's side in for about 20 minutes to no avail. After a quick search on LS1Tech I found a post about putting them up in front of the drain plug (thanks Silverhawk). Then they went right in. Passenger side was easy except for tightening the rear-most bolt wich was slow going. I used a box to hold them up tight from the bottom while I torqued down the bolts.

This is an M6 car which may or may not make a difference but there are no fitment or clearance issues. There is alot of space everywhere so I'm pretty happy about that after hearing about recent issues with these headers.

I also had a QTP Y with dual cutouts (which used to be on a different car)but after about 10 mins of trying it looks like it will be easiest to have a shop do that part since some of the ends need to be enlarged to slide on and I suspect a few inches of pipe will need to be fabbed up.

In the mean time I'm driving around with open headers. There is some major noise and vibration and the check engine light has come on until I get the rear O2s and AIR tuned out. I am really enjoying people's reactions to the noise.

The Good: Didn't take too long, excellent fitment, high quality headers, setting off people's car alarms, frightening children etc.

The Bad: The ringing in my ears after driving, lots of vibration for now, numerous chunks of flesh missing from my arms and hands, bruised ribs feel worse from all the rolling around.
what header gaskets did you go with?? Also did get locking header bolts???
Old 08-09-2006, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
what header gaskets did you go with?? Also did get locking header bolts???
I used the gaskets that came with the headers, looked like tin on both sides with paper in between. I just reused the stock bolts for now, they seemed to have plenty of loctite on them. If they give me problems I'll have to get some locking bolts.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MISERICORDIA
I used the gaskets that came with the headers, looked like tin on both sides with paper in between. I just reused the stock bolts for now, they seemed to have plenty of loctite on them. If they give me problems I'll have to get some locking bolts.

wow i would never trust the paper gaskets..

Search this Thread