Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

#1 swirl and scratch remover

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #1 swirl and scratch remover

I have a black ws6 these things are impossible to keep clean with sand everywhere. I cover my car with the evolution car cover and it still gets dirty. The guy that owned the car before me didnt ever drive it the paint was perfect. I am starting to get the dang swirlies I hate them. I herd sratch x was one of the best but I need some more opinions.

When the black on a trans am scratches they appear white because of the primer... this drives me nuts because you cant help from getting a few scratches. Anyway they stick out to me so I want to fix them. I heard of some touch up paint that you apply let dry and then it comes with some form of liquid that allows you to wipe the touch up paint down level... I cant think of the name though does anyone know what im talking about? I know you can sand and polish the paint level but I just cant bring myself to sanding on my car, yet. Does anyone have any good techniques? Thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

i have had phenomenal results with first meguiars scratch X (rub in WELL), then meguiars cleaner wax let dry to haze and wipe off, then finish off with meguiars NXT tech wax to seal, works great, in fact i just did my girlfriends grand am that had tons and tons of scratches, these techniques took away a ton, and the car just glows now, i know others on the site who have used this technique, you may want to do several passes of scratch X then do the final two for even better results, hope this helps. BTW i wouldnt try that wipe on touch up paint.. it would pry just wipe right back off when you geta good coat of wax on..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks man... I use NXT also it works great. Never heard of that touch up paint. Could you describe how to us it a little more thanks. Does anyone else have any good ideas for touch up paint?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Must be a thousand write ups on this forum about removing swirls from black paint. You'll get a hundred different answers, there is no single solution, many approaches work and will get great results, just search. My only advice is that once you finally get your car's finish scratch/swirl free, be absolutely vigiliant about keeping it that way. That means taking every precaution when washing/waxing not to introduce new scratches. Ask Zane-O, he has a lot of good suggestions to get you started. Best thing for a black car is to stay off the finish as much as possible. Use a car duster in between washings will help. Check out www.autopia.org also.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys
Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Chop-Foo Director

The best switch and scratch remover is not a product, but a process.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:31 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

i use zaino z-5 for my black ws6, and it does a great job of getting the swirls out. however, i still have some deeper scratches, i might have to try the scratch-X
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

here is what I use and its amazing, you can buy this at advanced auto parts by the sandpaper and things. Its 3m scratch remover..Looks like this bottle, sorry for the blurry pics. This truck was wetsanded before polishing the hood with this stuff:

disregard all of the stuff in the pic. none of that worked!!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a black '93 for ten years, put 135k miles on and it never spent one night in a garage. I always used Mirror Glaze #9 (Swirl Remover) and #26 (Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) - [of course I didn't kow about Zaino or Menzerna back then and they may be better] - and I got great results. You can judge for yourself, here's a pic of the '93 @ 10 yrs. old.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
The best switch and scratch remover is not a product, but a process.
OMG thank you.

and heres about the best writeup on that process.

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=47
Old 08-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Teching In

I dont have real deep scratches though. I think the swirls are being caused by my car cover... but I cant stop covering it do to the intense sun in texas. I think I may try scratch x and then seal it with klasse. Has enyone heard about klasse? Is mirror glaze #9 better than scratch x. I dont think I need anything real abrasive. I will take a pic tommarow. The paint is in pretty good condition but I need to find the best touch up paint... I have small scratches through the clear coat and I dont want to use one of those crapy paint pens that leave blobs I need some way to touch up the paint and make it look level. What is the best way to do this. Thaks guys.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

your wasting your time with scratch X. get rid of the swirls for good. just get the stuff I was telling you about.. I works perfect, even by hand. its only 6 bucks!!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 AM
12 Second Club

ScratchX is more of a isolated scratch improver/remover deal, for by hand applications.. for scratches that are too deep for a dedicated polish.

ScratchX works great for whats its made for but there are better products to do a whole swirl removal process.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

3M Swirl mark remover it think it called Perfect-It 3000,,,25 bucks a Qrt, but very easy to work with, and works very well. When i firt go tmy ride, she was covered with tree sap, swirl marks etc,,just a mess,,,after cleaning er up (clay bar, etc), i used a rubbing compound,,,,HUGE MISTAKE,,,looked like i took sand paper to it in spots. Used the 3M stuff, and they are gone.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

As others have already mentioned .. simply removing the swirls is not enough .. you need to change the way you are taking care of the paint on your car, or you will just go down this road again and again.

read all you can about it, from every source you can ..

Where in Texas are you ? Several of us are in Texas, and could probably be talked into showing you how to take care of your paint..

You mentioned keeping it covered. do you clean off all the dust, dirt etc prior to putting your cover on every time ?
If so, how?

One of the best recommendations for taking care of black paint is to invest in the proper tools and products. start with a PC, and go from there .. there are several places online that have good startup packages with decent pricing.

As for products, Meg's, Menzerna, Poor Boy's, Mothers, 3M, Zaino and a few others all make very good products.

as long as you are using a good quality product, it is more important that you use it correctly, than the actual brand of the product.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LANDONZ
here is what I use and its amazing, you can buy this at advanced auto parts by the sandpaper and things. Its 3m scratch remover..Looks like this bottle, sorry for the blurry pics. This truck was wetsanded before polishing the hood with this stuff:

disregard all of the stuff in the pic. none of that worked!!
#7 and #26 don't remove scratches. No idea who told you they did. To remove scratches, you should get a dual action polisher...#83, #80, and then #26.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

hate to tell you but meg's#9 is pure fillers and just about no cut to it. Get something like IP that contains no fillers.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kman
#7 and #26 don't remove scratches. No idea who told you they did. To remove scratches, you should get a dual action polisher...#83, #80, and then #26.
exactly .. #7 is a pure show glaze, it only lasts a day or two, and is pure shine, no protection

#26 is a carnuba wax blend. again .. pure shine and protection, no cleaning.

both of those products work great .. just not for removing defects.

as mentioned above .. #9 is a very light cut
Old 08-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

i had very good luck with meguires scratch X followed by their cleaner wax followed by their NXT tech wax...took out small key marks and swirls, it was a long process but it was well worth it in my opinion. (scratch X and cleaner wax were used with a PC)
Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to realize also that the vette and f-bodies have VERY hard clear coats, so products that work on other cars for removing scratches probably won't work on our cars or as well. You really have to step up and use a product like #83.

Quick Reply: #1 swirl and scratch remover