Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with questions

Hi all,
Great forum here! I found it when I didn't even know I was looking for it. I have some questions about the different models though. I own a 98 Firebird, with the 5.7 and six speed. It is a factory blue green chameleon. It has the Trans Am badge on the side. The title says Formula. What does all this mean. I always thought it was either Trans Am or Formula not both. Is this an odd-ball, or am I just confused? Which is it? Could someone maybe direct me to the answers to these questions. I've searched the threads but am still not quite sure.
Paul
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

It's weird how they work. (and even weirder how many of the community respond lol)

Formula's are just Firebirds upgraded to the Formula level. This is the WS9 RPO code.

They then convert some Formula's into Trans Am's. So all Trans Am's have the WS9 RPO code on them.

However, why put "Formula" on the title? Many say they are all "Firebirds" and nothing else. But apparently Pontiac sees distinction in the Formula name. But that still doesn't explain them putting that name on the title of Trans Am. (my '02 says the same thing)

Basically, management in corporate America makes no sense at all.

You can tell a Formula from a Trans Am by the bumper and wing. Not sure about 98, but in 02, T/A's only came with leather, so that might be another clue.

That's for what it 'is'. If you're concerned with what it was *born* as, check the RPO code sticker on the door. Go here to get a translation for all of them if you're curious - http://www.lonestarthunder.com/m_rpo.php

Look for "WS9" and "Y82". WS9 is model conversion to Formula, and Y82 is conversion to Trans Am. If you have both of those, it's a true T/A.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Default Thank you

That clears it up for me. I was just curious. I guess in the long run I love the car so it doesn't matter what it is. I'm assuming it is a TA though. I bought it 6 years ago. I test drove one and was hooked. I bought this one because it was a steal. Sometimes when you get a deal you wonder why.
Paul