Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default header leak

well i've had my headers on for about a week an a half. i no i got a header leak cuz i can hear it. i put brand new GM gaskets instead of the crappy pace setter ones so i no its not the gaskets. my buddy told me there is stuff they sell at autozone that is like a sealer that u can put around. im almost positive that its coming from the Air fittings on the headers that u need to block off cuz on the 1 i only have 1 bolt in and tightened. but all the rest i have them all in. i made sure all the bolts everywhere else were tight as hell. im just wondering if anyone has used that sealer or anyone done anything else to stop there header leaks.

thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People use the sealer stuff all the time, but I'd just try using another bolt for hte AIR blockoff. 1 is not enough to stop it from flapping open. Take the one you do have to the hardware store and get another one to match.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

What bolts did you use? Stockers will take about 1k miles to seat themselves in there. A thing to remember, headers have a thinner wall then regular manifolds, so they will be a bit noiser.

A pulsing leak sound is prolly from the gasket, or up top. A constant sound is prolly from the collector. The band clamps also have to be tight as hell for them to seal.
I had to keep rechecking mine for a little bit before they completely sealed.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

im gonna try the sealer. i just tightened down all the bolts and shoved a bolt in the other air fitting. i can still hear a header leak and it sounds more constant. even at idle i can hear alittle whisper like air is escaping from somewhere. i might have to check the collector cuz i've had such a hassle with my headers. i had 2 get everything welded. so i dont think it could be the collectors with a weld job. it could be the o2 sensor fittings but we made sure those were in but not to tight because i heard you never wanna tighten those to much. so i dunno im gonna try the sealer and see.

thanks guys aprreciate it
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the exact same sound, I put it on ramps yesterday, let it cool down, started it and started feeling around and I found it, it was on my driver side header where it meets the y-pipe so I put the crank on the band clamp and its still there so tomorrow Im gonna try the aluminum foil gasket fix and see it that works....thats where I would check if I were you, mine was like a hissing/ticking sound that was very faint and I could only here it with the windows down.....
Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

just a little advice. Put some exhauts cement on the pipe and clamp, then tighten and put some around the edges. It all comes off easily, but stops leaks from happening.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

i gota find the leak first which im trying to do. i still think its the air fitting whoses cuz it sounds like its more up top. but ya ill look into that cement cuz i think im gonna need something to seal this cuz it just gets really annoying driving with a header leak.

thanks guys
Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat.

I got the race headers. I had a leak at the collector-y, sealed that with foil and band clamps, that cleaned the sound up alot.

That did'nt take care of a tick I hear though, it's only at idle and low rpms.

I can't decide if it is an exhaust leak or if my valvetrain racket is more pronounced with the headers. It's pretty loud though. I figure if it was an exhaust leak, it would get louder as the rpms increase right?

I feel your pain...chasing these noises down gets annoying as hell
Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My collector connection is leaking kinda bad, since the TSP duals slide onto the collector a good bit, and the pacesetter collector is comparatively shorter... there you have it. I'm gonna try and fashion something from aluminum foil and/or RTV and see what happens.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have the Pacesetter LT's as well, and I have the same ticking/hissing noise. If that sealer works, let me know what it is and where you got it.