Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

cleaned and painted wheel wells, have some pics

Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned and painted wheel wells, have some pics

well, today i cleaned my wheel wells, pulled the plastic covers out, taped stuff off, and started painting. i used eastwood extreme chassis black to paint the suspention pieces and the frame and inner fender walls. i used some cheapo primer and paint and stuff from wal-mart to paint the plastic pieces, and used brake caliber paint from wal mart to paint the calibers while i was at it. what do you guys think? i turned out pretty well all things considered.

yes, i know the rotor is rusty, i'd like to paint the untouched surfaces of the rotor, but i dont know how to really prep it, the rust is pretty thick. and yes, i know the tires have eaten through part of the plastic covers. i'm thinking about pulling them again and simply cutting are the area thats been burned through to make it look clean.

what do you guys think? this is my first time doing something like this, im pleased with it. any suggestions for me?

edit: o, i also didnt paint the spring because i didnt want all that overspray on the shock, and because pulling the whole thing apart just to paint a spring seemed silly. besides, i'll probably end up changing springs(to something powdercoated) anyway.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

I painted my rotor top hats with gloss black Rustoleum paint. Just use some brake cleaner first then brush on.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

nice to see another freak show like me who this matters to ! I have mine all painted nicely as well and my rears are sprayed with bklack rubbeized undercoating. My calipers are also black. I brake cleaned and wiped down the untouched rusted portion of my fortors and sprayed them black as well and the paint has adhered without any problems. obviously with black over spray isnt an issue so just spray them without any worries., The paint will not flake off. Looks nice !!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Launching!

nice to see another freak show like me
im not quite sure if i'd say freak show...

maybe just freak lol.

im gonna do my rears next, just not sure how im gonna do it. personally, i HATE that undercoating ****. i think it looks terrible, i deffinitly am going to try and get that smooth clean look in the back too.... anyone know if you can order replacement plastic inserts for the rear that dont have undercoating on them?

thanks guys!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stokedporcupine
im not quite sure if i'd say freak show...

maybe just freak lol.

im gonna do my rears next, just not sure how im gonna do it. personally, i HATE that undercoating ****. i think it looks terrible, i deffinitly am going to try and get that smooth clean look in the back too.... anyone know if you can order replacement plastic inserts for the rear that dont have undercoating on them?

thanks guys!

they don't. Plus it would look like an add on
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

they dont come with undercoating? what do you mean look like an add on?

dont get me wrong, im not saying undercoating's a bad idea, i just dont like the look. im willing to put the time into maintaining painted ones
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Launching!

I wish my fenderwells looked half that good. Nice job.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

nice job! i did mine a couple weeks ago but i forgot to take pics and now there all dirty again
Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

The plastic panels in my rear wheel wells don't have undercoating on them - never did.

They do, however, from time to time, get coated with Goodyear F1 rubber though

-Jay-
Old 08-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Launching!

nice job! i did mine a couple weeks ago but i forgot to take pics and now there all dirty again
lol, thats why i painted them and did this all, im hoping that in a few weeks when they get dirty (shouldnt get THAT dirty, its just driven in the summer, when its nice out) i'll be able to pull the wheel and clean them again with some soap and water and have them look just as good as before.

The plastic panels in my rear wheel wells don't have undercoating on them - never did.
wanna trade? lol jk
Old 08-11-2006, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I painted my suspension parts when I did my calipers years ago. But I never painted the rest of the fender area. Maybe I need to look into that while the car is stored this winter..... Just need to get the furnace working this year.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Looks good. Now come and do mine
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might want to try some POR15 on the untouched parts of the rotor, I think that would be interesting, might have to try it myself.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twisted01ss
Looks good. Now come and do mine
it really wasnt hard, lol, if i can do it, ANYONE can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cleaned and painted wheel wells, have some pics