Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke coming out of exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming out of exhaust...

Got my car back this past week after almost a month in the body shop repairing/replacing the passengerside door and rear quarter panel (slid into a tree at low speed... ppl should get more sleep, then they wouldn't crash).

Anyway, since i got it back, i've been smelling some slight burning smells occasionally. I didnt really think much of it because the oil was changed less than 2000 miles ago and it's only been 2 months. But today i noticed a large amount of wet build up in my exhaust... and tonight while idling there was visible smoke coming out... not plumes of it. Kinda like the amount of vapor when you run your car on a cold day... except it's black, not white... and i didnt smell anything in it.

Oh well, taking it to the shop in the morning to have them readjust the latch on the passenger side door, and i guess they need to check i didnt break the car beyond body work.

ANyway, the point is, any ideas why i would get a brown, wet mess lining my exhaust? and what causes smoke like this?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your car has been sitting for a month in a dirty shop. water vapor gets in the lines. you gotta burn that out.

i'd recommend dumping a can of seafoam in your gas tank and another half a can in your oil. drive the seafoam in your oil for 100 miles. change it immediately.

follow my sticky if unfamiliar:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

seafoam to a car is the equivalent of an enema to a human. it does to your car what a shot of warm water does to your colon - cleans all the **** out
Old 08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Resident

np
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Black smoke is gas being burned, like your car is running too rich. Maybe some of your mods or something are causing it to run to rich, and you just never noticed this before.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by volumebikertom
Black smoke is gas being burned, like your car is running too rich. Maybe some of your mods or something are causing it to run to rich, and you just never noticed this before.

I only recently put on the K&N and lid, would that be enough to cause that?

I talked to the guy at the body shop, and he told me that it lookedl ike it was running too rich and needed tuned.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irnbru83
I only recently put on the K&N and lid, would that be enough to cause that?

I talked to the guy at the body shop, and he told me that it lookedl ike it was running too rich and needed tuned.
No, a lid alone wouldn't do that. Take ChocoTaco's advice and use the ol' sea foam.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
No, a lid alone wouldn't do that. Take ChocoTaco's advice and use the ol' sea foam.

bought the seafoam and 6 quarts of GC 0-30W so i can be like ChocoTaco
Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Resident

let us know how it turned out.