Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad header leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad header leak

i've had the headers on 4 about 2 weeks now and i was driving home around 1 this morning from work and the minute i started the car out of the parkinglot i was like this header leak is getting much worse. i cant seem 2 find out were its coming from. ive tightened all the manifold bolts up have brand new gaskets not the pace setter crappy ones. i think its coming from the collector cuz it sounds more under neath like its below me. seems like its a more presistent hissing noise now. i might need some kind of sealer does anybody know any really good brands that will help me out if it is the collector. some guy told me about exhaust cement wat exactly is that and were could i buy it. i was thinking maybe its the o2 fittings but im really not sure. i just dont no how it could be the collector wen i got my entire exhaust welded. anybody know what this could be.

thanks alot
Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

will for me i put the headers on and thay were one for 2or3 day it was fine later i had leak it was the Egr and air tub

Last edited by firehawk0623; 08-13-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sunsetorang01TA
i've had the headers on 4 about 2 weeks now and i was driving home around 1 this morning from work and the minute i started the car out of the parkinglot i was like this header leak is getting much worse. i cant seem 2 find out were its coming from. ive tightened all the manifold bolts up have brand new gaskets not the pace setter crappy ones. i think its coming from the collector cuz it sounds more under neath like its below me. seems like its a more presistent hissing noise now. i might need some kind of sealer does anybody know any really good brands that will help me out if it is the collector. some guy told me about exhaust cement wat exactly is that and were could i buy it. i was thinking maybe its the o2 fittings but im really not sure. i just dont no how it could be the collector wen i got my entire exhaust welded. anybody know what this could be.

thanks alot
Check any block off plates and/or AIR/EGR fittings. Also if you think it is coming from the welds take it back to the exhaust shop and have them listen to it on the lift and fix any weld leaks...

Barring all of that, take the gaskets off and use a copper gasket spray on them and the AIR/EGR gaskets to seal it up a little better, then torque each manifold bolt incrementally for 3 passes.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

i think i heard of that copper gasket spray. im gonna look into that. then can i just spray it around the block of plates and stuff. or does everything need to come off cuz i thought that was just a sealer and u just put it around were u think the leak is coming 2 seal it better.

thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Pull it all apart then spray it on the gaskets off the car. Be careful though since the AIR/EGR gaskets etc are really not supposed to be reused (just work slowly and don't break them up...), but they are cheap to buy at a local parts store or dealership. Just spray them off the car then reassemble should take maybe 10 minutes...

Good luck bro!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

well im gonna look at the car today so thanks alot Azrael i hope i get this fixed lol if not its going back 2 the exhaust shop that did the welds and there gonna look at it.