Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much RWHP would you say the STS is good up to?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default How much RWHP would you say the STS is good up to?

Looking at getting a kit from Billy this winter and just curious how far you think this kit could safely be pushed? Or is there really a limit? Lets say you have a big enough turbo, FMIC and forged block and can push the boost up to whatever.... how much rwhp before you think the kit becomes unreliable or unsafe, etc. If somehtings holding it back, which part of the kit is it?

Another question... if a kit can so called me "maxxed out" as in it is unsafe or unreliable to push it past a certain point.... is this based on HP or boost? For example, if i ran a 346 on 14 psi and put down 650 rwhp lets say, would the kit only be able to perform to about 8 psi on a 408 due to it hitting the 650 hp with only 8 psi... or could i push it to the 14 psi o nthe 408 as well? Catch my drift? Kind of hard to type what im asking, hopefully you understand.

Just trying to see really how far i can go in the future with this kit. Thanks!

Whoops, 1 more question.... biggest turbo you can fit under the rear is....?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-13-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after you fix all the leaking oil problems, get a better oil pump instead of a boat builge pump, get some one other than STS to tune it, tuck the turbo up higher... then think about making power...

or go to TRT to get it done correctly, STS doesnt have a clue

you can fit a GTS76

go front mount with your engine..
Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say dont listen to anyone who isnt running an sts setup. most of the guys around here are sheep and copy what other people say who probly have no experience with STS or FI in general.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

kk ,well the first thing i stated was getting my kit from Billy, who owns TRT, lol. Anyone else have any idea where the sts max's out and whats holding it back there?

Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

I have PLENTY of experience with STS..... plenty...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

There have been some crazy numbers, but if your goal has changed and you are wanting to exceed the 700 mark by much, you may need to reconsider. Also keep in mind that there is a limit to what you can use on the street if you are just wanting a street car. On street tires, is 900hp really usable? IMO, no.
I'll be the first to say it has its limitations, but it can be upgraded to overcome some of them.
We will be starting on Longrange4u's car very soon and his goal is 900. All I can say is sit back and see. It would be great to hit it though. There will only be 1 or 2 pieces of original charge pipe from STS in his whole set up and a considerable upgrade in the turbo. I know he will keep everyone updated as the build progresses.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Yeap I will....
Old 08-14-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Garrett has a STS twin set up, and he shooting for 1xxxhp, hes a 860@14psi, dont know if that would count for this, just lettin you know
Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

The whole point of the STS kit is affordable FI with the bonus of keeping DD equipment like air conditioning. It also makes working in the engine compartment a lot easier. I have one on my GTO and am happy with it. However, I think I think if you are already asking how far you can push it, you might be better off starting with a front mount instead. No need to start out with a kit that has daily driving compromises built in if you are going to end up with a max effort track car.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
The whole point of the STS kit is affordable FI with the bonus of keeping DD equipment like air conditioning. It also makes working in the engine compartment a lot easier. I have one on my GTO and am happy with it. However, I think I think if you are already asking how far you can push it, you might be better off starting with a front mount instead. No need to start out with a kit that has daily driving compromises built in if you are going to end up with a max effort track car.
+1 from the guy trying to max out his rearmount!!! Hindsight is 20/20
Old 08-14-2006, 04:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok well im not really looking to max it out into a track car, just seeing how far it can be taken. So you think with all the original pieces and bigger turbo and built engine, the sts could pump out 650 rwhp +?thats about my goal still Billy with this car for the street. Just double checking to make sure it can make it there. So what is really the limiting factor you are swapping out for longrange4u's car? I know your re-do'ing the entire set up basically, but what are the main parts that have to be upgraded?

PSI vs HP being a limiting factor... which is it? If the system so to speak max's out on 14 psi with a 346, does that mean it could also do 14 psi on a 408 or could i only use about 8 or so due to being at the same HP?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

ive had an sts. now i have hi-flo. i had fun with the sts. but the front mount performs WAYYY BETTER, therefore, im having a lot more fun.

most guys with sts will say other people are just bandwagoners. i was the same way when i had the sts. cuz i thot it performed good (it did, dont get me wrong)...but now ACTUALLY having experience with my front mount....i learned sts isnt all i thought it was..

gl..
Old 08-14-2006, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
ive had an sts. now i have hi-flo. i had fun with the sts. but the front mount performs WAYYY BETTER, therefore, im having a lot more fun.

most guys with sts will say other people are just bandwagoners. i was the same way when i had the sts. cuz i thot it performed good (it did, dont get me wrong)...but now ACTUALLY having experience with my front mount....i learned sts isnt all i thought it was..

gl..
Some of us cant afford two different turbo setups!!!

I have a rearmount... I wont even call it an STS cause its not anymore. We will see what happens... I am going to see if I can make some front mount guys stand up and pay attention! Then still get my *** handed to me by the big front mount boys!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

man i cant decide....

Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superman09
man i cant decide....

I'll do it for you... front mount

do it right the 1st time.. or you'll spend twice as much trying to make something more than what you want it to be..

plus you want to drive the car... not always be tinkering with it...
Old 08-14-2006, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

STS will work.
Forged 346
T70 Turbo with front mount intercooler at 14lbs mad 700hp/640tq on pump gas.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
PSI vs HP being a limiting factor... which is it? If the system so to speak max's out on 14 psi with a 346, does that mean it could also do 14 psi on a 408 or could i only use about 8 or so due to being at the same HP?
Stop thinking PSI...too many people equate PSI vs HP.PSI is restriction,think in CFM's or more broadly just rwhp goal.A bigger cube motor will max out at less boost because your bigger motor will breath better and use more cfm's.Take a look at the air consumption charts on forcedinductions.com to get an idea.They took a bunch of motors and compared RPM vs pressure ratio/boost/etc.If youre trying to get over 700rwhp than go front mount because like its been said by the time you do all the upgrading from a base STS setup it'd make more sense,and probably cheaper as well.But good luck with whatever you decide.Nick
Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok im setting my goal then.... stock motor- 450+ rwhp. then 650+ on forged motor. Forged motor may be anywhere from 346-408, havent picked yet, and will upgrad ethe turbo if needed. and fuel as well of course... Right now i mthinking sts with t-70 is what im leaning towards... opinions? So turbo kit's max out via HP then correct? Not PSI?

Old 08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

370ci STS with T-70.... you will hit your goals.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok cool.... you guys are swaying me more back to the sts for its simplicity and ability to hit my goals (main concern of this thread)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much RWHP would you say the STS is good up to?