Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Vette LT1 goes down...

Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette LT1 goes down...

but i didnt race a vette. LOL

I ran a real nice hot rodded late 30's chevy pickup that had a 96 Corvette LT1 with headers/exhaust from what i could tell. really nice looking truck.

It was at the local Dairy Queen, every sunday night theres a car meet/show. Me and the truck left at the same time and we caught a light. wide open two lane that goes to three a 1/4 mile up. no body on the road.. 60 degree night... couldnt ask for anything better

he didnt line up even with me, so i wasnt sure if he wanted to play. didnt really look at his motor either so i had no idea what to expect. even tho you could clearly see it. it didnt sound mean as it idled so i figured this could be a good race for my slow L98. lol

The light turns green and i creep out in first gear and he's matching my speed. i'm slowly feeding throttle Then i can hear him getting on it more as he started goin for the pass. I smashed it. i'd say it as about 15mph when we both were on it.

Immediately, i start moving on him. Not really hard but still a pull. A bad trans mount leaves me no traction at first on the hit, but as soon as the mild spin stops, i was sliding on by. we were kinda close in first since first is so short a gear, but once i got to second i was movin out on him. i brought it up near the top of second (~50mph) before i let off about 1 car ahead. 700r4 first gear and TPI torque are just great for low speed rolls/dig races.

He comes rollin by and stomps on it again from about 45-50 mph once he gets on my side. i give him that initial start and take off in pursuit. He had about a car head start. the truck was moving good, as it took some time to reel him in. i got up to him and closing hard by i think 85-90 and i took it to 100. and shut down with him being about 3 lengths behind.

we hit another light and i pull next to him, and he starts talkin to me. "Looks like i need some more car!" lol really cool guy. he told me its a LT1 from a 96vette. i could see it had headers now. I gave him the thumbs up and told him i had a L98. He complimented my car on how well it ran and said good race. i exchanged compliments and we went about our ways!

Hot rod/muscle car guys seem to be the best crowd. They usually always wanna play and seem to appreciate a fast car when they meet one, no matter what it is. I usually get a race with one of those guys every sunday when we all leave. and i usually go down hard LOL

Search this Thread