Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Emblems

right now i have Red Emblems on my Red Trans Am. how hard is it to remove these and paint them black. also what kind of paint should i use on these, and how do i get them back on when i am done. Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Easiest thing to do is buy overlays from a sponsor like afterthoughtsauto.com. But if you want to take them off an paint them it is simple but time consuming. Get a hair dryer and put it wide open on the emblems to warm up the double sided adhesive, this loosens the bond of the tape. Then get some decenty strong fishing line and run it between the emblem and the the door. Then after you get it all off remove the remaining adhesive off the car with 3m adhesive remover and then clean the surface thoroughly before re-applying the emblem.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by schmidt69
right now i have Red Emblems on my Red Trans Am. how hard is it to remove these and paint them black. also what kind of paint should i use on these, and how do i get them back on when i am done. Thanks
I went to the dealer and ordered a set of black ones, they charged me 40 bucks. I would call and see how much a dealer would charge you, unless you want to paint them real bad yourself. Just an idea.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotV-8
I went to the dealer and ordered a set of black ones, they charged me 40 bucks. I would call and see how much a dealer would charge you, unless you want to paint them real bad yourself. Just an idea.
x 2.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Teh Juggernaut
Easiest thing to do is buy overlays from a sponsor like afterthoughtsauto.com. But if you want to take them off an paint them it is simple but time consuming. Get a hair dryer and put it wide open on the emblems to warm up the double sided adhesive, this loosens the bond of the tape. Then get some decenty strong fishing line and run it between the emblem and the the door. Then after you get it all off remove the remaining adhesive off the car with 3m adhesive remover and then clean the surface thoroughly before re-applying the emblem.
+2 on that is what i did i was really really easy cheap and if i want to change the color later then all i have to do is take off the decals and put a different set on. I took like 2 hours for the decal shop to put on the door emblems, front bird, and two birds on the c pillers. then i sanded down the rear center peice and put matching decals back there i think it looks awsome. If you want to see some pics i could post them up later.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

i bout them from the dealer thats the way i did it and it it cost like $100 for emblems and install. and you dont have to worry about them peeling off

Last edited by 01blackformula; 08-15-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

I too started off with the overlays - didn't like the way the edges would start to peel every time you would clean over them. So I got (2) sets of emblems, (1) red and (1) silver, then installed them as shown. My color scheme thru out the car is red & silver obviously...

Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

If you want them already colored dont go through the dealer unless you like to be *** raped. Go to ebay. Tons of them on there
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

u can get them for about 40 on ebay. Seems kinda high, check the dealer too
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Teh Juggernaut
Easiest thing to do is buy overlays from a sponsor like afterthoughtsauto.com.
Cheapest? Yes. Easiest? No way. These were a real PITA for me to put on. I'd get the painted emblems.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Emblems