Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the chances my aftermarket pulley is causing KR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What are the chances my aftermarket pulley is causing KR?

Lkke it says, what are the chances that my balancer pulley is causing knock retard from 3k-5k. I posted my graph a while back in my dyno post here and you can see where the graph drops off in that range from a couple degrees of knock that I have NO idea where it's coming from. My tuner couldn't seem to figure it out, and it didn't seem to care how much timing was added. It just flat out would knock in that range and then recover. So, I was perusing Install University the other day and came across this article stating the pulley (or pullies) would cause knock retard. Now, I'm just wondering if that could be the case since we can't seem to track it down. I must admit this pulley has been pulled on and off quite a few times so it could be likely that it has been somehow damaged so that it causes vibrations. I just wanted to know if other people have had this problem or what the likelihood of it could be. I was going to replace my knock sensors since that's the only thing we could think of and they are from my original engine from way back, but now I'm not sure what to do. Input would be appreciate.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know as well since I'm going to be installing one this weekend
Old 08-15-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible sure... not as common as most like to think.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't understand where it's coming from. Any ideas if you think the crank pulley is very unlikely?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had an answer. I find it interesting that at least one of the pulley manufacturers comes right out and says that thier pulleys do not cause false knock. I guess they are implying that others do.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, my concern isn't with possible faulty manufacturing of the pulley to where it causes vibrations/knock out of the box. My March pulley has been nothing but excellent, but I just fear that the abuse of taking it on and off so many times may have caused it to become somehow out of round causing my unexplained KR.