Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket tach

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket tach

would it be completely pointless to put a dash tach in an automatic? would you have to un-hook the old one or could you use both? i have always liked the look of tach's on the dash...makes it look more aggressive
Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it would be completely pointless. I suppose if you had a manual valve body, then it would help. But ya know, if you like it, then do it. You don't need to unhook the stock one. You just tap into the wire at the PCM for your tach. Both the dash tach and aftermarket will function.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

If you've added some serious horsepower, the stock LS1 tach is a bit slow in 1st, 2nd gear.

Still not much need for an aftermarket tach. Plus if you have drill holes in your dash it will make it harder to resell your car in the future. ~Joshua
Old 08-15-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Agree with the resale point made about drilling holes in the dash. I was able to mount my 5" tach to the A-pillar very securely and the body of the tach just sort of "rests" on the dash with a small piece of rubber attached so prevent scratching the dash. The a-pillar trim is easy and inexpensive enough to replace if needed so I am lucky in that regard.

Here's an older pic of mine:

You can't see the bracket but it's bascially just a u-shaped bracket that I believe came with the tach and is bolted to the a-pillar.

I really don't need the tach as far as performance goes since I don't go to the strip that much, but on some spirited runs you can see a slight difference in the RPMs between the Autometer tach and the stock tach. I would estimate, and again just an estimate as the needles are both moving fairly quick, about a 100-200 RPM difference in the rate of how fast each tach is registering.

Also agree with sweetbone, if you like it do it. It's your car and I've taken some heat for mine, but to each his own.

Bryan
parbreak

Quick Reply: aftermarket tach