Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halfway and scared...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Halfway and scared...

I began my LS6 intake install this evening. The disassembly went fairly well. Only a few tangles. But after dinner... one thing led to another. And I feel as if I'm digging myself a dangerous hole...

I noticed upon removal of the wires which connect to the injectors, the little blue gromets just sort of fall out. I may have lost some. I'm scared to count because I'm afraid some may have fallen into the intake ports. At one point, I also heard something fall. like a clip. But nothing can be found. I sure as hell hope nothing's in the intake ports. I checked the front four as I cannot see inside the others. Also, when removing the coolant lines, is it normal to loose some fluid? Some leaked out the back of the motor and onto the ground. It was very minimal, but there is a small puddle. I'm just worried to continue and I'm going to forget to re plug something in, or something's going to get caught. I'm very frustrated right now. And what bothers me more, is that this is only an LS6 intake install. I think I just need a few pointers and advice...my confidence in this situation is very shot at the moment. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Go pick up one of those little magnetic sticks and feel around as much as you can. Or pull the motor and disassemble . Losing a little fluid is normal. Sorry to hear all the trouble with just a LS6 Intake. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

One tip. At the back of the block you'll notice a plastic "tower." That's the oil pressure sending unit and it breaks off easily. It's inexpensive but you'll need to waste time at a dealership ordering one. When you're putting the LS6 on take the brake booster hose off the brake booster and put it on the intake. It's much easier reconnecting the hose to the booster instead of fishing around back there trying to connect that end to the back of the intake.

I'd get a magnet. even if you have to waittill tomoorow to visit the auto store. If you really did drop something in one of the ports it's game over. Or get on top of the engine and visually look into each port if you can't wait to buy the magnet.

Also those little retaining clips that hold each injector wire onto the injectors can be snapped on before you reconnect onto the injector. (they don't block you from hooking them up if you do it before) It's easier to snap them on before instead of fumbling with the clips after hooking wire harness to the injectors.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you following an install guide or just going to put it on as it came off?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

following the ls1howto.com guide.

Alrighty. So. The only problem...is I have no idea where one little injector plug gromet went. everything else is buttoned up. The place where I accidentally dropped the gromet was near the front intake ports. I hopped up and visually checked them...No sight of it. I'm just worried. If I start it up...will i notice anything right away if the gromet did get inside? I'm just not sure. All I have to do now is reconnect my throttle body and lid. Thanks for the super fast responses guys.

Rick
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst case scanario, how bad could it be? It's a fairly small, soft piece of rubber. I figure it would get chewed up, burned, and spit out the exhaust. I guess the question is, if it got stuck between the valve and the valve seat, would it just get snipped, or could it cause the valve to deflect?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Worst case scanario, how bad could it be? It's a fairly small, soft piece of rubber. I figure it would get chewed up, burned, and spit out the exhaust. I guess the question is, if it got stuck between the valve and the valve seat, would it just get snipped, or could it cause the valve to deflect?
You never know though.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not sure i would take such a chance either...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask Kory....If a paper towel can screw the bottom end up....imagine what something like that would do to the top end.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Good point. I don't want to risk it. If someone could tell me that they, personally have seen an LS1 chew up one of those rubber gaskets, I would start it up. BUT. In the morning, I'll probably pull the intake off and check every intake port. First of all, I'm going to thoroughly examine EVERY thing to see if it could have fallen somewhere outside the motor.

Now, If I were to check all of the intake ports, how would I go about doing this? I do not have a stethoscope, Nor do I have fingers long enough to fully feel out each port. maybe stick some sort of swab in there if I have to?
Thanks again guys.

Rick.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

I'm just guessing, but if it got sandwiched between a valve and head, you could really do some damage. Not only to the valvetrain, but you wouldn't want a piston coming in contact with a valve. That would be really bad. I would make damn sure it's not in there.

Maybe you could use a vacuum? Get a seal around the vacuum and intake port and possible suck it out if it's in there. Lot's of light and maybe a tiny mirror to look in there.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I second the vacum idea. Also the RUBBER grommet is just that rubber. Think of the little rubber bouncy ***** that kids play with. If that rubber grommet bounced off the motor, there is a million things in the engine bay that a rubber piece can bounce around off of. Take a look everywhere. Look behing the heatshields, on top of the steering rack, on the backside of the waterpump - everywhere! Its rubber, it may have bounced around and not even land inside the motor. Check though!!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Well. I found the rubber gromet! It was sitting inside my fender well. This was a good thing as I hadn't began the manifold deconstruction...

Although, I mentioned in another thread how I broke my oil pressure sending unit. I ordered one which is coming in tomorrow morning around 9 a.m.

In the morning, I plan on removing the intake once again so I can access the sending unit. BUT.. one thing is still bothering me - The first time I started it up, It idled fine. I shut it off because the oil pressure guage worried me. After a little while, I started it up again but this time it sounded REAL rough. Also sounded like it had an exhaust leak it was so rough. What would cause it to run rough..the second time i start it. it couldn't be a pinched vaccuum line or anything....

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

If Not A Vaccume Then Try Compressed Air