Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor bad?

Had the Nomad with LS1 out on Sunday doing some tuning (3rd and 4th gear runs on the highway). Almost home, and I hear a noise that sounds like the fan going through the radiator (electric fans so thats not it). HPTuners showed the Bank 1 O2 sensor down to 0.017 volts after this. The car sounds like it has a big exhaust leak.

The sensor is the stock one that came from the donor 2000 Camaro. The "lock" ring on the Bank 1 sensor is very loose and will rotate easily (connects the end of the sensor to the braided wire cover). One of the remaining donor ones I tried has the "lock" ring somewhat loose.

I assume the sensor is bad, and needs to be replaced. Does this sound correct?

Shop manual refers to a special anti-seize for the O2 sensors. I asked the parts guy at the Chevy dealership about it and he said they didn't carry anything like this. What should be used for anti-seize into stainless?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine were tight ..not loose at all...as far as anti-seize for s/s ..????? [very nice project..a friend has a red Nomad and a Silver one.Silver has a Muncie 4-speed and a '62 vette engine...red one has a 355 stroker+ 2 carbs and a Modified Factory Batwing.[no oil bath][show car]
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, the light came on last night on the bus ride home from work. The driver's side stock exhaust manifold has the bung for the 02 sensor, but this is now in the way of the steering column. Moved the O2 sensor to the down pipe and used an oil pan drain plug to fill the hole. Well its gone.

Will get one tonight, but the have the reverse of the anti-seize question. What do you use when you want something to stay together?