Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true duals help needed!

im thinkin of doing a custom true dual setup but want little noise in the car. Here is what im thinking and want opinions and comments from you guys. Ok thinking of doing cats to eliminate raspy noise and go with a H-pipe setup and sweet thunder mufflers(these are chambered right??) and go over the axle(this is to eliminate the noise inside the car. Ok what let me have it guys...comments please
Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True duals don't have rasp. I have the TSP TD's with spiral flows run out the back, and its not bad in the car at all cruising, but once I get on it it wakes up.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

If you go over the axle, that would pretty much eliminate all noise inside. I have tru duals (x pipe) with 12" dynomax bullets and its nothing the raido cant handle. Mine also end befor the rearend. Over the axle is more costly though. I spent like 300 dollars haveing mine made at a local exhaust shop.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, what's your budget like? I assume you're going to have a muffler shop custom build you a system? Unless you have sniffer emissions tests to pass, deleting the cats will save you money that could be used to run the exhaust out the back either over or under the axle, under being the cheaper of the two, and into a nice pair of tips. You would have hardly any interior noise....hell, mine dumped before the axle are quiet enough at cruise to have a normal conversation with the passenger.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea a local muffler shop will be doing this. Im in NC and we dont have sniffer test but kinda worried if we have em in the future. Budget isnt all that important, but im not trying to get CRAZY with it neither. Are there any banging issues with a true dual setup? Im going to go with a 2.5" system as i might lower the car in the near future.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt guys
Old 08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
First of all, what's your budget like? I assume you're going to have a muffler shop custom build you a system? Unless you have sniffer emissions tests to pass, deleting the cats will save you money that could be used to run the exhaust out the back either over or under the axle, under being the cheaper of the two, and into a nice pair of tips. You would have hardly any interior noise....hell, mine dumped before the axle are quiet enough at cruise to have a normal conversation with the passenger.
I have basically the same exact set-up as this guy (LT's, no cats, H-pipe, & Flowmaster 1-chambers dumped before the axle). The only real difference is his is 2.5" where as mine is 3". I'm with him though...Initially I thought it was kinda loud inside the car with the windows up at cruise, but it's really not. Granted, everyone's perception of interior noise levels varies, but while I can clearly hear the rumble of my exhaust at any rpm, I can still hold a conversation or listen to the radio if need be during part-throttle.

At stock ride height, ground clearance is obviously great and I've had absolutely NO scraping issues. No banging or rattling either. Although mine aren't run out the back like you seem to want, so I can't really comment on that. But I looooooooove my Speed Inc true duals! The power (especially low-mid-range torque from the H is great) and the sound is truly ferocious!! Sounds a lot like a '69 or '70 Chevelle with these Flowmaster race mufflers at full throttle.

Mike
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i went with cats, H pipe and over the axle( all pipes would be 2.5") what muffler(s) do you guys recommend and where to place em. I dont want the bullet type mufflers so take that into consideration.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
if i went with cats, H pipe and over the axle( all pipes would be 2.5") what muffler(s) do you guys recommend and where to place em. I dont want the bullet type mufflers so take that into consideration.
You're definitely going to want 2.5" if you plan on lowering, so good planning on your part. I'm on a pro-kit and couldn't come close to fitting 3". In my opinion, especially since you plan on lowering, you should plan on mounting your mufflers behind the axle somewhere. If you don't use a bullet style muffler (sweet thunder, spiral-flow, etc.) you're really limited on space with these cars. To run mufflers like mine for example, you have to place them very close to the rear axle to get them to tuck up behind the rear seat humps. Doing this makes it impossible to go over the axle, but you could go under. If you were to mount the mufflers after you go over the axle, you could run both 2.5" pipes over the passenger side axle and then split to each side like a normal catback and try to squeeze the mufflers back there somewhere.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

good stuff jmm98ls1 i appreciate it. I should clear up what im looking for. I wanna run the bullet type mufflers just something chambered. I know the dynomax bullets are pretty straight through and can cause rasp. so what you recommend for best sound and flow with a chambered type bullet muffler?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

The only chambered bullet style mufflers I know of are sweet thunders and power sticks....pretty much the same thing. You should also look into the moroso spiral flows---they sound incredible on duals IMO. Since you're going with that style, you can pretty much mount the mufflers wherever you want, run both pipes over the passenger axle and run the tailpipes in the factory locations....should be pretty straightforward for any competent muffler shop. There's tons of pics in this section of people's setups, along with several pics on ls1sounds.com. Print off a pic of what you want yours to look like and take it with you to the muffler shop.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

think i should run cats if im not worried about a few hp's? you guys recommend an H-pipe also?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys couple more questions......do i have to run a X or H pipe with true duals over axle? Also it will be crush bends instead of mandrel bends....is this ok??? again it will be 2.5" pipes over the axle. comments please
Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
ok guys couple more questions......do i have to run a X or H pipe with true duals over axle? Also it will be crush bends instead of mandrel bends....is this ok??? again it will be 2.5" pipes over the axle. comments please
If I were you, I'd run an H pipe, the crush bends will be fine. I'd also run the power stick mufflers since you said you want a good sound but no rasp. Well, with sweet thunders you're gonna have all kinds of rasp because their louvers in the muffler stick out wayy too far as opposed to the power sticks. Also, the powersticks are 2.5" or 3" all the way through as to where the sweet thunders neck down to 2 1/4" causing flow loss which = power. The powersticks will be decent at cruise and loud as **** at WOT. If you're looking for a muffler that is quiet at cruise but comes alive with a sound thats almost as loud as a bullet at WOT then go with the borla XR-1's or Magnaflow muffs. There are no other mufflers that are as quiet and docile as the xr1 and magnaflow mufflers but come WOT they're almost as loud but more refined sounding.

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 08-23-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
If I were you, I'd run an H pipe, the crush bends will be fine. I'd also run the power stick mufflers since you said you want a good sound but no rasp. Well, with sweet thunders you're gonna have all kinds of rasp because their louvers in the muffler stick out wayy too far as opposed to the power sticks. Also, the powersticks are 2.5" or 3" all the way through as to where the sweet thunders neck down to 2 1/4" causing flow loss which = power. The powersticks will be decent at cruise and loud as **** at WOT. If you're looking for a muffler that is quiet at cruise but comes alive with a sound thats almost as loud as a bullet at WOT then go with the borla XR-1's or Magnaflow muffs. There are no other mufflers that are as quiet and docile as the xr1 and magnaflow mufflers but come WOT they're almost as loud but more refined sounding.
you dont like the moroso spiral mufflers?