Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

rice whats to race.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rice wants to race.

Alright I am going to TX in Sept. and one my brother's friend says that he can beat me with his AWD talon. I said "**** ya!" But he won't race at the track though. He says that he doesn't get good traction. Well this guy has a AWD turbo talon. They say that he has N2O. But he won't say what kind of upgrades he has. My mods are in the sig. I'll difinitely be racing on the draglites. So if i race this guy on the street would i need to warm up my tires and let some air out. I want race this guy on a dig. When I do get to TX I want to race for $$$.

Last edited by 00 Freak; 08-17-2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: mispelled wants
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

To be honest I clicked on this thread because I was trying to understand what the title said, you have to proofread your posts, man.

Anyway, the excuse about not racing on the track doesn't make sense because unless you're racing on a brand new asphalt street, you're not gonna hook like you are on a specially prepared race track, that's BS.

That's ballsy of you to choose to race an AWD car from a stop, most people choose to try and race them from a roll because AWD cars don't have a launch advantage that way. However, with draglites, you probably have 315s at the least in the back, and on drag radials you'll actually launch better because of the weight transfer, assuming you've taken off at WOT from a stop before and know how to drive the car without spinning the tires.

Try to find out what upgrades he has, i.e. built motor, what turbo did he upgrade to if it's upgraded, how much nitrous he's running if he is, if his drivetrain is upgraded. He could likely break something taking that power to the ground if he leaves at a high rpm, because many of the 1st and 2nd gen Talon, Eclipse, and 1st gen laser owners approach their car modification with a tight budget.

EDIT: Thanks for editing the title.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Without knowing what he has it could be anywhere from a 15 second car to a 8 second car.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

sorry about the thread. I was never good in english class. anyways, I think i have better chance of beating him from a dig, because for example I raced my friend in his m6 formula and I can beat him from a dig. but on the hwy its a different story. I just don't have a lot of topend.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

He's either BS'n about gettin traction or has some serious crapola done to the car. It takes alot to get trac probs from an awd, but modded talon's can get nasty real quick especially on bottom end. DR's would be a wise decision either way for you.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Im not sure why he wouldnt want to race at the track either unless he runs faster then a 11.5 and doesnt have a cage and doesnt want to get kicked out. 1G DSM's can be incredibly fast if done right. Unless your very confident in your launching I would be careful about racing from a dig. Like was already said without knowing his mods it could be anywhere from a 15sec.-8 sec. car.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

My brother says he has the fastest car in their club, but the club has 14 sec civics and other eclipses. But i'll wait to see his car. He doesn't know that were racing for $, but I'll wait to see his car. I probably look out for some dr's on his car and peek on how big his downpipes are. I've already raced a DSM on a roll and just cruised by him. I'll try my hardest to get a video. But anything else i need to look at for.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

race him from a 20-30 punch
Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Teching In

warm up your tires for a dig. try to race from a roll, thats your strong point imo. basic mods(turbo back, intake, injectors, pump, mbc, and a tune) will put him in the 12's. thats on a budget.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

no traction in a AWD?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Teching In

he could have traction issues if hes redlining it and dumping the clutch. i can break all 4 loose doing that but its not wise or smart to do. i dont know why he would claim that. 10 bucks says he cant drive for ****!!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AWD is so over rated. Give me a break. AWD sucks. Yeah, it does ok off the line, but a properly set up trans am would smoke it. I was riding in my brothers 450rwhp pullied 03 cobra a while back. There were 5 of us in that thing, and cobras are pretty heavy as it is. We lined up with an AWD WRX from a dig because thats how he wanted to do it. I figured we'd get smoked off the line and have to play catch up. Yeah right! We both got a totally even start and walked away from him in first gear. He never got ahead. If you ask me, thats pathetic. I have yet to see AWD be worth a **** for racing. It may give them half way decent 60' times when stock, or nearly stock, but a head/cam trans am with decent rubber will walk away from it easily.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dsmdoctor
warm up your tires for a dig. try to race from a roll, thats your strong point imo. basic mods(turbo back, intake, injectors, pump, mbc, and a tune) will put him in the 12's. thats on a budget.
From what my brother says about this car I think it's a 12 sec car. I would've heard about this car runnin' any faster.The area where I live everybody knows everyone. especially, cars.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
AWD is so over rated. Give me a break. AWD sucks. Yeah, it does ok off the line, but a properly set up trans am would smoke it. I was riding in my brothers 450rwhp pullied 03 cobra a while back. There were 5 of us in that thing, and cobras are pretty heavy as it is. We lined up with an AWD WRX from a dig because thats how he wanted to do it. I figured we'd get smoked off the line and have to play catch up. Yeah right! We both got a totally even start and walked away from him in first gear. He never got ahead. If you ask me, thats pathetic. I have yet to see AWD be worth a **** for racing. It may give them half way decent 60' times when stock, or nearly stock, but a head/cam trans am with decent rubber will walk away from it easily.
Well WRX's dont seem to pull as good of 60's as DSM's and Evo's do. Also that WRX must have had a shitload done to it if he wanted to race a 450whp Cobra cause its not easy to get one near 400whp. Sounds more like the kid was an idiot.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Personally I think youll murder him off the line. Anybody dumb enough to claim he doesnt get traction on the track but does on the street in an AWD car is probably not going to be the best launcher. With the stall and stickies you have the advantage off the line.

As for power, he wont say his mods hugh? I bet 16G or poorly setup 50 trim and an SAFC and some front mount IC.

Im betting on you. 1Gs can be deadly, but it takes someone who knows what they are doing. Fools rarely have any speed with DSMs.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I get 1.70s 60 ft times. I just added LCA w/ relocation brackets and phb. so i'm sure that my 60's will be lower.