Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mechanics school??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanics school??

I wanna learn how to work on cars and build engines and stuff...I'm gunna be moving to Jacksonville for school and i was wondering if theres like schools or places to learn how to work on cars. Can some1 PM me and point me in the right direction on how to get started on this?? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

?????? Your in the wrong section buddy
Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

talk to gray (bigbronco). he works at school of automotive machinists which is a great school. won't teach you to be a mechanic persay but it will teach you to build awesome engines. their camaro held the title for fastest naturally-aspirated, stock suspension camaro in the nation. you could also go to www.samracing.com
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

go to college, get a good, cush job, and then when you are high enough in your company, take some classes at a community college, SAM, UTI, etc. you say you are going to jacksonville for school? are you talking about college?. if so, concentrate on doing well in that endeavor. i don't know how old you are, but i can tell you that you have the rest of your life to build cool motors/ cars. and the true craftsmanship of car building takes time to learn. you can't spend a year or two and expect to learn all there is. just ask any SAM or UTI graduate. they will tell you they learn so much more by practicing their craft. they will tell you that the learning curve is continuous.. thats the route I'D take if i could start over.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I graduated from UTI a few months ago. The school isn't bad if you know nothing about working on cars to start with. I found it to be really easy and I don't feel I learned a whole lot. For me it seemed like 3 months worth of information given out over 18. On a good note they do help you get a job after you graduate...

UTI is good if you want a job changing parts at a dealership. It will help you get your foot in the door and get started. It is not the engine building school they want you to think it is though.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

uti will teach you how to work on cars and trucks, SAM how to build engines. but neither will show you how to make a good living doing it. only time and experience will teach you that. thats why i say go to college and get a good job/career. and then later in life, when you are more finacially stable, consider actaully paying for automotive training. by then, you may realize you have learned what you want to know just through experience of doing this for a hobby.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah I'm not going to do it for a living, I'm only 18 and going to UNF. I just want to do it as a hobby and be able to work and fix stuff on my car when its needed and learn to install new things on it. I also want to learn because i want to restore some cars too.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you sound alot like me...
i got my degree at a traditional college, ECU, and then went to Nascar Technical Institute (its a UTI school) for a year.
i learned that at an automotive school you're going to learn how cars work, from bumper to bumper, but they're not necessarily going to teach you how to work on cars. if they were going to teach every student how to pull an engine, rebuild it, and then reinstall it, it would take forever for a class of 20 students to individually complete the task, also the school wouldn't be making any money at all. alot of guys at the school didn't understand that, and didn't like the school.
at NTI i learned enough to get 3 ASEs, so i think that you can definately learn alot,... but the best thing you can do is go to a traditional college so that you can have something to fall back on. i worked at a dealership for a while, now i'm using my Business Management degree to help run my family's business.

with that said, if all you want to do is work on cars the best thing you can do is skip school and go to work at a dealership.

if you have any questions just drop me a PM
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2000ta, the first part of what you said is partly why SAM only has 80 graduates a year....

when i took a tour, there were very few ppl, and me, gray, and one of the students were the only ones from texas. SAM doesnt advertise alot because they only want hardcore ppl to go to the school to keep their rep up. im going there after i get my certificate in cnc machining from tstc