Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers vs. Dynatech's

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Headers vs. Dynatech's

I have a 2000 C5 with SLP headers and was thinking about dynatech headers with cats. Question is this, what am I leaving on the table if I leave the SLP headers on?. Is it worth it for me to by the Dynatech's?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you aren't leaving much on the table. Unless you're having ground clearance issues (not sure how well SLPs tuck up on a vette) I say stick with them.

Take the money you are willing to throw in that direction and buy a cam.

I just noticed you're in Nashua, glad to see it!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion it is like comparing poop to apples. I have seen fittament on both, and definitely would pick the Dyna's over SLP. Plus they are stainless headers.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
In my opinion it is like comparing poop to apples. I have seen fittament on both, and definitely would pick the Dyna's over SLP. Plus they are stainless headers.
yeah well the dyna's might fit better but its still comparing LT's to LT's so their will be no power increase or loss. The main reason of doing this swap would be for clearance so if thats an issue and its that important then do it but your not adding anymore power. Like it says in the stickies SLP's flow VERY well just like any LT but they just have shitty ground clearance.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:14 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
yeah well the dyna's might fit better but its still comparing LT's to LT's so their will be no power increase or loss. The main reason of doing this swap would be for clearance so if thats an issue and its that important then do it but your not adding anymore power. Like it says in the stickies SLP's flow VERY well just like any LT but they just have shitty ground clearance.
I agree. It's not worth it for the power. Though you would probably gain some power with a set of KOOKs or LG Headers. They are really only worth replacing if you step up to 1 7/8" stepped headers with a nice H/C setup.

Otherwise any old 1 3/4 header setup will be fine for a bolt on street car. As long as it's not too low anyways.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I agree. It's not worth it for the power. Though you would probably gain some power with a set of KOOKs or LG Headers. They are really only worth replacing if you step up to 1 7/8" stepped headers with a nice H/C setup.

Otherwise any old 1 3/4 header setup will be fine for a bolt on street car. As long as it's not too low anyways.
Yep, no reason to change the headers. Unless you can justify a reason for 1 7/8 they'll do nothing for you.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
IMO you aren't leaving much on the table. Unless you're having ground clearance issues (not sure how well SLPs tuck up on a vette) I say stick with them.

Take the money you are willing to throw in that direction and buy a cam.

I just noticed you're in Nashua, glad to see it!
Bad ***. I have a Mill Yellow Vette. Been to Target lately. I've been there. Getting Cam and Heads this week. Hopefully shooting for Big numbers.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Heads and cam are coming Next week. TSP Torquer 2, LS6 Stage 1 heads etc. I have a NX 150 shot now. Have a 3200 Stall and a built tranny. Shooting for 425 RWHP.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

for everyone, SLP headers on vettes have no clearance issues at least in my car. The headers are Jet hotted and still look great after 3 years and about 10K on them Actually they are for sale. I have the high flow cats too. What do you think the numbers between the LG's and the Slp's would be. Enough to make a difference?. 10 Or so?.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought SLP's were stainless.
Anyways, my SLP's have 20K+ miles on them (4+ years) and still look great. I was thinking about changing them as well, but after much research... best case scenario +/- 5 hp doesn't make much sense. Plus I love they way they make my Hooker cat back sound. Leave well enough alone and add a cam instead. Good Luck
Old 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'll keep an eye out for you. My car is still at the shop, I need a few more misc. parts before I can get it back together.

I haven't been to target yet, but I've heard good things.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DD966
I thought SLP's were stainless.
Anyways, my SLP's have 20K+ miles on them (4+ years) and still look great. I was thinking about changing them as well, but after much research... best case scenario +/- 5 hp doesn't make much sense. Plus I love they way they make my Hooker cat back sound. Leave well enough alone and add a cam instead. Good Luck
They are ceramic coated.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

If there's no clearance issues like I have with mine on my SS then I see no need to get rid of them unless you want to get Kooks or LGs like someone else said.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

I had the SLP LT's then I crushed them on a speedbump. I swapped out for the Suppermaxx and saw no gain or loss N/A. Nitrous power was improved.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't more f-bodies run Dynatech's?

Is there something wrong with them? Or are they priced higher than Kooks and QTP?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

ttt any more help
Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

They are ceramic coated.
You are incorrect they are both stainless and ceramic coated. As far as power being left on the table. Well I have a F-body TA not a C5. After installing SLP headers and a ORY I picked up 29 RWHP and 25 RWTQ. I think that not bad for my mods.This is a quote form there website.
SLP LS1/LS6 TUNED-LENGTH LONG-TUBE HEADERS:
Reduce 1/4-mile ETs by up to 4 tenths of a second and increase trap speeds by as much as 4 mph.
Offer easy, bolt-on installation.
Cost significantly less than competing C5 headers.
Are compatible with all factory emissions equipment.
Feature .055" wall-thickness 409 stainless steel tubing to ensure long life.
Are mandrel bent to maximize flow.
Use Jet-Hot's polished aluminum-ceramic thermal barrier coating (interior and exterior surfaces) to keep heat in, exhaust velocity up, and under-hood temperatures down.
Are covered by our Performance Guarantee and Lifetime Limited Warranty.