Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compression ratio???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compression ratio???

I recently purchased a 400 sb from my brother for my 67 camaro. I plan on using Vortech's supercharger for my carb setup. Currently, I think the compression ratio is set at 10.0:1. If I change the heads out to a set of heads with a larger combustion chamber would this change the compression ratio? I think it would lower the compression ratio but I am not sure. Which leads me to another question, why do supercharged engines have lower compression ratios? Also, would I be able to make more power by swapping the heads out for a pair that have a larger intake runner?
Thanks for any replys.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larger combustion chambers (like 73+) would be beneficial. Heads with larger runners and valves would be better due to less restriction. Like forcing air through a straw... Instead, force air through a tunnel IE - more volume. Lower compression because you're cramming more air/fuel into the engine than it normally can vacuum in, therefore creating extremely high pressures, which tend to cause detonation. Detonation = bad. =) That pretty much sums it up!