Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice On Launching A4 For Best Et's

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice On Launching A4 For Best Et's

Need advice on launching a4 for best et's I have a 2002 stock SS, the only mods are the do at home ones on install university, port polish mass, air, free ram air. I am running y pipe no muffler, with factory cats. My car has 33000 miles and runs really well. I was wondering what works best on launch. Putting it in drive and going, or manually shifting? If someone could give me pointers I would apprecaite it. I am going to the strip tommorrow for test in tune and my neighbor has a mustang that has some really good mods, and I want to do my best, even if he does beat me. I am at sea level in Louisiana, and i want to try to get around 12.9 to 13.2 range. I am new to the site, and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake torque it but don't spin the tires, when the 3rd yellow lights up let off the brake and floor it at the same time.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thank You!

Do you know what the rpms would be roughly? When I let off the brake im stabbing it at the same time? After I launch, do I manually change the gears or leave it in drive? Sorry if the questions seem dumb. My last car was a corvette with the ZF six speed, I've never owned an automatic before. I am running bf goodrich 275's, they are new and pretty sticky.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

Leave it in drive. The computer will shift better than we can. As far as stabbing it, well, apparently I need help to on that one also.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

trying to manually shift an automatic can ruin your gearbox in a hurry. My buddy drove a 96 mustang GT and was always shifting it manually... then one day he couldn't get out of 2nd gear... haha.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default THanks

I appreciate all the good info. We leave for the track in the morning! I am so excited. I will go with putting it in drive, and keep it to the floor! LOL. I did this similar practice yesterday on a back road, I was impressed how quick it got past 100. My friends Mustang is a 92 with a 336, with MSD, Mickey THompsons, sub frames, tremec, 9 inch rear, ram air, mac shortyies and mac mufflers with turn downs, drag lites and is carburated, instead of FI, he claims it will run 11's. He's already making fun of smoking me tommorrow, I just want to do the best I can, So I don't get completly embarrassed. I think he will beat me, but I don't think his car is as fast as he says it is. I'm just running tommorrow to get a baseline before I install the cam, stall and 373's. Thank you everybody for the advice. If you have any more pointers for me please pass them on. One quick question. If I hold the breaks right up to the point to where the tires are getting ready to break, when the lights change, I release the brake and WOT, Is the wheel spin minimal? Just curious I havn't done this before. I did however powerbrake it the other day, and it broke traction with minimal braking, and sit in place and burned them.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Drive around the water and do not heat up street radial tires at all before launching(you could do the old one wheel turn to clean any rocks off), it only makes them greasy when you do a burnout, they get the best traction when they are fairly cool. Radials are like that except for drag radials.Some people will try to argue but i beg to differ. Look for the "groove" and get those radials of yours lined up right in the darkest parts where the most rubber is layed down. Footbrake it hard ,press down and chassie will torque up,bring it up to almost wheelspin almost but not quite, watch for last yellow, when you see it dump brake,floor it.dont lift unless it spins real bad as some tire "scrubbing" is good. Good luck,get to bed, you need your mind most of all, remember it's you and your car against the clock in your own lane, drive well and focus on your car and the victory against the car in the other lane will come naturally. HAVE FUN #1 PRIORITY!

Last edited by DogNutz; 08-19-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if by chance you can win, and hes been talkin ****.....bring your trusty louisville slugger with you, and take it out on his car afterwards....make the bitch cry