Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question regarding stock LT1 and chirping tires with an A4?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Neewbie....

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I bought a '94 Trans Am about a month ago. It's an A4 and has about 118k miles on it. After doing some reading here I guess it's the MRM (Maple Red Metalic)? I'll post a pic and the pro's can confirm that for me. Nothing fancy about the car...... YET!
I just had a transplant done to her. Seems the original motor had a blown head gasket, hydro-locked, and all kinds of good stuff. Found a '94 Z28 motor with about 90k miles on it as a donor. The swap was just completed and I get it registered and insured today!
I look forward to reading and learning all about my car here. I had an '84 Trans Am back in the day and I can't wait to get behind the wheel of this one. See you all around the boards.

Oh, and to explain the screen name.... I also drive a Chevy Avalanche. So.... Avalanch&TA. It can be seen in the back ground of the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Question regarding stock LT1 and chirping tires with an A4?-lr1gkidb8plrgh2lyo3yhnoa4pvp.jpg  
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome! Congrats on the new ride, I hope it gives you many miles of happiness. '94 was a unique year for the T/A. They offered the Trans Am and they offered the Trans Am GT. (Marketing... gotta love it) The GT has the typical T/A spoiler, while the regular Trans Am got the firebird spoiler. I believe in '94 they returned to the MAF (having a speed density system in '93 only). Still a non vented optispark, though. (They vented it for '95) If my memory is correct- the GT should have come with the z rated tires and the higher speedometer (155 mph), while the regular T/A had all season radials and a lower speedometer (115 mph) and speed limiter programmed in (108 mph). A hypertech or the like should take this out for you if you do have the 115 speedometer. You could also swap out the 155 mps seedometer if you wanted..

Of course, the LS1 brakes, and WS-6 suspension are easy bolt ons for these cars. Same for the aluminum driveshaft. (I used to have a '95 T/A and I did all this) or there's a host of aftermarket products that are as good, if not better than stock.

Good luck with your car!

-BV
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome, at least LT1 stuff is cheap!! I will always love 94 TA's, I had a friend who had a white one, low spoiler etc. and I absolutely LOVE that car, he inspired me to get mine.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome and have fun and lods of info about any thing or setup to moding your ride.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Welcome to the crew, lots of info on here.

your color while great is definantly not MRM,
if its not a bright red then I do believe it is Medium Patriot Red

looks like a standard TA from the low rise spoiler.

Last edited by Topless TA; 08-16-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car. They call that medium red metallic. Very nice color on the Pontiacs back in the day.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
Nice car. They call that medium red metallic. Very nice color on the Pontiacs back in the day.
the paint charts for 1994 show Medium Patriot Red for a bird

Last edited by Topless TA; 08-17-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to get your panties in a bunch...I've always seen it printed as medium red metallic...and that's what Pontiac called it in their brochures...and that's what it will say on the touch up paint bottle when you go to buy it...if you own a Camaro it will be listed as Med. Patriot red metallic
similar to how they called the "maroon" on the LS1 cars Maple red metallic (Pontiacs) and Monterey Maroon Met. (Chevrolets), but they are the same color.

Last edited by Philhawk02; 08-17-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Launching!

I stand corrected, same color diffrent name.

Camaro = Med. Patriot red metallic
Pontiac = medium red metallic
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Medium Red it is..... I still say maroon.

Thanks for the welcome. I've already read and learned a ton of stuff about my car. So far this site and it's members are very helpful.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

First Upgrade: Wheels And Tires!!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Well I got the car back from the mechanic today, FINALLY!

There is no way this thing is stock! As I drove it home, for the first time mind you, I floored it a few times to see what it could do. From a rolling 35-40 it was what I expected. From a rolling 5 mph I again nailed it and held it there until it shifted into second. To my surprise I chirpped second gear, with an automatic. I had the car in "D" so it's not like I held it in first myself to red line it. I figured it was a fluke so I tried it again, same thing!
Later tonight I took it to the store. I was alone and it was dark so I figured I could really get on it. Same thing only this time the back tires broke loose!!
Granted the tires are a bit worn but that still doesn't seem right. The roads where dry too. I'm tempted now to take it to the 1/4 mile track to see what it'll do. I won't try that though until the car is 100% (brakes, suspension, etc). I'm also tempted to get it dynoed too to see EXACTLY what it's got. Again, I have some other things I need to do first to get it closer to that 100%. Once I get the results I'll be sure to post it.
Does this sound normal?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Default Question regarding stock LT1 and chirping tires with an A4?

Well I got the car back from the mechanic today, FINALLY!

There is no way this thing is stock! As I drove it home, for the first time mind you, I floored it a few times to see what it could do. From a rolling 35-40 it was what I expected. From a rolling 5 mph I again nailed it and held it there until it shifted into second. To my surprise I chirpped second gear, with an automatic. I had the car in "D" so it's not like I held it in first myself to red line it. I figured it was a fluke so I tried it again, same thing!
Later tonight I took it to the store. I was alone and it was dark so I figured I could really get on it. Same thing only this time the back tires broke loose!!
Granted the tires are a bit worn but that still doesn't seem right. The roads where dry too. I'm tempted now to take it to the 1/4 mile track to see what it'll do. I won't try that though until the car is 100% (brakes, suspension, etc). I'm also tempted to get it dynoed too to see EXACTLY what it's got. Again, I have some other things I need to do first to get it closer to that 100%. Once I get the results I'll be sure to post it.
Does this sound normal?

(I also posted this in my "Newbie" thread but figured I'd get a better response in it's own thread.)
Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I merged the duplicate threads...
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

This car has some HP. If your tires are not great yea its going to break the rear tires loose. You might have some exhaust work done to it.

Have fun and be careful.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Teching In

My car did the same thing when i first got it, it scratched second gear everytime. Once I got my new tires, (Fuzion ZRi's) it's done it maybe two times, most likely due to the conditions outside.

Search this Thread