Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Very Notchy T-56-Sounds like wooden blocks colliding, time to go for a fresh rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Notchy T-56-Sounds like wooden blocks colliding, time to go for a fresh rebuild?

My transmission is very notchy and when you shift it lets out an audible noise that sounds like 2 wooden blocks hitting together. There is almost 2 distinct pauses during shifts, one when you shift out of the gear and go into neutral, and the other when you are pushing to engage in gear, making it nearly impossible to have 1 fluid shifting motion, and even more difficult to skip gears since you don't have any momentum to force the shifter into gear.

I have droven another manual LS1 and it shifted like butter compared to mine. I know T-56s can all feel a little different and aren't known for ultra-smooth shifting, but there is a huge difference between mine and the one I drove(both stock transmissions and shifters).

It's annoying enough for me to consider buying a rebuilt T-56 from one of the sponsers and swapping them out, but I am testing the waters to see if there is any cheaper way around it, as the rest of the transmission seems fine for the most part.

Should I take it into one of the shops I know and risk the trouble-shooting and possible swapping of a couple small transmission parts that will quickly add up, or just skip the hassle and get a fresh rebuild?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're getting a lot of resistance in all gears I'd check out the clutch first. I seriously doubt you've managed to mangle up all the blockers/synchros.

Check the fluid color, should be clear with a slight yellow tint. If the fluid is discolored I'd flush the fluid and bleed the system. If your clutch has a bit of mileage on it, you could just be due for a new clutch. Test it for slipping.

Hows the pedal pressure? How many miles on the clutch and pressure plate? How do you drive it, daily driver or are you beating on it at the track?