Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making my own crossover - questions on WG and flex section

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my own crossover - questions on WG and flex section

OK, I am going to have to make my own crossover for the turbo setup. My first question is does anybody have an opinion on a dumped wastegate versus tying it in the exhaust? I plan to run an open exhaust off the turbo, so I am guessing the wastegate noise won't be too bad, but I have no point of reference.

Also, would it be wise to put a stainless flex section in the crossover to account for some expansion of parts and dampen vibrations? I know TTi did not put a flex section in their crossovers at first, but then the put a clamped joint in the later ones.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you're going to run an open exhaust, might as well dump the WG. you'll never hear it. As far as the flex section, I would add one simply to make the installation easier (allows a little more play for the bolts in that already cramped area).
Old 08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Add the flex joint in. Ease of installing, plus the added factor of heat making the pipe move around. The flex joint will stop it from cracking.
Now I got some flex joints in that had steelbraided on the outside and on the inside. I sent those back, was worried about the braid coming loose and ending up in the turbo.
The new one just has it on the outside.
The gate what ever is easiest seeing how you are no running a muffler noice will not matter. Just aim it down and away.
Ricky
Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan to run open exhaust for now, if it is real bad I will throw a dynomax bullet or something similar on. I dont think I will mind since I used to drive with the cutout open almost all the time.

Ricky, where did you get the flex pipe from? I would like to get a piece without braid on the ID also.

Thanks for the input guys. Pete.

Last edited by bowtieman81; 08-21-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Restricted User

Pete - you can get "flex pipe" or flex joint pipes from summit. They carry the stainless type.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
OK, I am going to have to make my own crossover for the turbo setup. My first question is does anybody have an opinion on a dumped wastegate versus tying it in the exhaust? I plan to run an open exhaust off the turbo, so I am guessing the wastegate noise won't be too bad, but I have no point of reference.

Also, would it be wise to put a stainless flex section in the crossover to account for some expansion of parts and dampen vibrations? I know TTi did not put a flex section in their crossovers at first, but then the put a clamped joint in the later ones.
Good to hear ya didnt give up on the tti kit. Flex section = the win! Logs are known to crack... and it didnt help that there was no flex section! Its a no brainer.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, I am going to get it running. I still will likely put it up for sale this winter, but it will be easier to sell a kit that works.

Ordered a flex section and the pipes needed to do the crossover. I will be putting up some pics of this stuff in my thread.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Ya, I am going to get it running. I still will likely put it up for sale this winter, but it will be easier to sell a kit that works.

Ordered a flex section and the pipes needed to do the crossover. I will be putting up some pics of this stuff in my thread.
I local guy took me out in his firehawk with his Q_M_P T76 kit and even @ 9psi it pulled hard! You'll be happy when its done.

Last edited by RealQuick; 08-22-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I local guy too me out in his firehawk with his Q_M_P T76 kit and even @ 9psi it pulled hard! You'll be happy when its done.
I hope so. It is still disheartening that by the time I am done I could have bought a new kit for the same money.

Another question, where is the O2 sensor go in the crossover?

Old 08-22-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I hope so. It is still disheartening that by the time I am done I could have bought a new kit for the same money.

Another question, where is the O2 sensor go in the crossover?

I believe the O2 for the pass. side goes anywhere near the pass. side manifold and the driver's side went in the DP. I would pm RyanK.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The O2 on passenger side has to go before the wastegate I assume, just wondering how far in front of WG is should be.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put the o2 as close to the passenger manafold as possible.